Maytag MAH4000AWW washer won't agitate

Old 09-11-06, 04:45 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Maytag MAH4000AWW washer won't agitate

Hey all,

I'm having some problems with my washing machine that I can't figure out & was hoping someone had run across and might have some words of advice.

The machine is 6 years old (this is the fourth time it's broken down by-the-way). The last repair was 11 months ago as part of the class action (new machine control board & door lock wax motor replaced).

When the machine turns on, the tub fills normally but the wash cycle won't start. It sits there for a couple of minutes and then the machine shuts off. If I advance the timer manually to the spin cycle and turn it on, it drains but doesn't spin. Again, it sits for a couple of minutes and shuts off (the door lock light does come on).

According to my wife it was "the same problem as the last two times" -- given she's usually right, I checked R11 (wasn't fried like the last time) but figured the door lock motor was probably toast again anyway (it's been replaced twice in the past) so I ordered one up. Fortunately for me the local parts shop misunderstood me and ordered a timer instead -- I swapped it in, made no difference so I returned the timer and got a new door lock motor. No change.

I tried pulling JP4 and starting it in delay, no go. I checked the fuse on the motor control board, it looks like it may be toast, but still has continuity. I'm a little leery of checking whether or not I have 120V at the board (I melted a screwdriver in a dryer once...scared the living crap out of me!).

I'm thinking the motor control board is the culprit here... any thoughts/suggestions/ideas?

Thanks!

Old 09-11-06, 05:44 AM
M
Sounds like you need the new motor and motor control conversion kit. Only good thing is that the motor has a 10 year warranty and they have to give you the new control board with it. That is unless you have already had this changed in one of your other repairs. You should only have to pay labor. Let me know what you figure out.

Old 09-11-06, 05:50 AM
J
Nope, both are original.

Don't mind paying labor one bit if the parts are free. I'll give them a shout this morning.

Thanks for the heads up!

Old 09-15-06, 07:48 AM
E
Maytag wont spin

I am having the same problem where the fuse is blown and I tried calling Maytag. They say that the motor has a 10 year warranty but the board does not therefore you need to buy the conversion kit which costs over $200.00. Can you let me know how yours turned out? Thanks

Old 09-15-06, 01:05 PM
D
Angry Unplug First!!!!!

Melted screwdrivers reminds me,(retired industrial maintenance mechanic), makes me want to warn you. UNPLUG THE DANG THING BEFORE YOU WORK ON IT! I did not one fateful evening and was electrocuted. Grandson saved my butt by knocking me off it. I had the "near death" thing, two crushed shoulders, broken ankle,& nerve damage. I have worked on hot stuff all my life but this one got me, a small distraction did it. Now handicapped, I'll pay for that small distraction the rest of my life.

Old 09-15-06, 01:51 PM
E
Maytag Neptune

Thanks Mr Peck for the warning..

Old 09-15-06, 03:13 PM
M
It is all about the way the service company words the warranty. If you say the motor is bad and you order a motor, you will get a conversion kit which includes the motor and board then it is covered. You cannot get just a motor for a MAH3000 or 4000. It comes as a kit. It is a different motor that won't work with the old board so they have to give you both. There may be a problem with the motor that causes the fuse to blow on the board, so you may need both anyway.

Old 09-16-06, 07:43 AM
E
Maytag Neptune

Thanks Maytagman for the reply. I spoke to customer service and they want me to get a diagnosis from an authorized maytag repair company. If in fact it is the motor i will get a new conversion kit free but it must be installed by that company which needs 3 hours or more for the repair at $75.00 and hour, therefore the cost will be too high for an old machine. Thanks again

Old 09-16-06, 10:03 PM
J
Originally Posted by maytagman
It is all about the way the service company words the warranty. If you say the motor is bad and you order a motor, you will get a conversion kit which includes the motor and board then it is covered. You cannot get just a motor for a MAH3000 or 4000. It comes as a kit. It is a different motor that won't work with the old board so they have to give you both. There may be a problem with the motor that causes the fuse to blow on the board, so you may need both anyway.
I called Maytag to confirm the motor was in fact under warranty, the woman I spoke to could only repeat that "if the repair has anything to do with the class action lawsuit they won't fix it under warranty". I don't know how many times I told her "I know, no problem." but she wouldn't let up. What a PITA.

anyways...

I had a long talk with a very well respected independent repairman and he recommended I dump my 6yrs old $1500 washer for a $400 top loader. In his opinion it's not worth repairing (he figures it'll cost me $200-300 by the time all is said and done). He won't even come and take a look at it -- He got screwed by Maytag a number of times and refuses to deal with them. So take heart people, it's not just the consumers that Maytag treats like...um...you know

I'm still plan on getting it fixed. The only authorized repairman in my area is on vacation until Monday so we have no choice but to wait. Needless to say the boss is getting pretty grumpy.

Old 09-17-06, 05:35 PM
M
It is a pain dealing with the companies, I will give them that. But it doesen't mean you should get screwed over. Any service company that can't complete that repair in less than a hour shouldn't be doing it. Unless it is in a real bad spot to get it out and work around it should probably take a half hour

Old 09-25-06, 07:50 AM
J
Resolution

Well, finally fixed.

It was the motor control board.

Repairman changed the motor and board, total cost to me was $70 plus taxes. Added benefit is the machine appears to be quieter as well.

I can only hope it's a while before it breaks down again...

thanks for all the replies!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: