Dryer outlet box not deep enough?

Old 10-14-06, 12:26 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Dryer outlet box not deep enough?

I just replaced my older dryer with one that is bout 4 or 5 years old. The plug is a typical 3 prong with one shaped like an "L" The old outle box was the same, however, when I plug it in, it doesn't seem to go all the way into the outlet box even though they seem the same. The amps match...any ideas what could be wrong and how can I fix? Do I replace the cord or the box?

They dryer is a Kenmore Elite if that matters.

Thanks
Christie

Old 10-14-06, 01:09 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Not usre I understand completely the situation. If I do understand it though, it sounds like the plug will not go all the way into the receptacle, correct??

If so, sheck the length of the prongs on the plug and compare them to the older one. They should be the same. As long as the prong configuration is the same, they should work.

Some recep simplay are hard to plug into all the way. The greater the amp rating, the tighter they tend to be so they will not make a bad connection and overheat.

Compare the two plugs and post back.

Old 10-14-06, 01:24 PM
C
unfortunately I already had my old dryer hauled off, so I can't compare the prongs, but yes, it does seem like the prongs are too long for the outlet box.

Do I replace the cord or the box?

Old 10-14-06, 01:40 PM
nap
Can't say I remember ever having such a problem but not saying it can't happen.

I am a bit on the cheap side so I would replace whichever costs less. I believe the cord would be the less expensive of the two but not sure. Before hooking it to the dryer, turn off the circuit (safety first and all) and plug the new plug into the recep to be sure it will fit. If a second one will not fit, that kind of leaves the recep as needing to be replaced.

Old 10-14-06, 01:42 PM
C
thanks...if it's simply really tight, how hard is too hard to push it in? I don't want to break something.

Old 10-14-06, 03:05 PM
nap
I've had a few that I nearly needed a hammer for (don't use a hammer). Try rocking it up and down to try to work it in.

Don't push so hard so to damage the wall though. That is too hard.

While you are doing this, turn off the power. If you accidentally touched one of the prongs while it was partially exposed, you could get shocked. Not fun.

Just to be sure; it is actually going into the recep most of the way, correct?

(just checking to be sure the blade configuration is correct)

Old 10-14-06, 03:18 PM
C
Yep, it will go in most of the way...the bottom straight ones seem to go in most of the way. The L shaped one is the one that won't seem to go in...

I'll keep rocking it and see if that helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: