Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Dryer wont start! (it starts, but, as soon as the button is released, it stops!!)

Dryer wont start! (it starts, but, as soon as the button is released, it stops!!)

Old 10-16-06, 10:41 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, i just found this forum from a google search, hopefully ill find some help here...

I have a Moffat clothes dryer and it wasnt drying very well (it took two whole cycles to dry a batch of clothes) so I took it apart and found out that the back end of the drum was clogged, and the vent going outside was also pretty clogged.

This is the second time I take it apart, first time was because a bushing of some sort was gone and it was squeaking. When i put it back together the first time it gave me the same problem, i wasnt able to keep the dryer running, when i started it, as soon as I let go of the start button, it would shut off. I fixed it by taking it apart, finding no problems, putting it back together! I didnt do anything and it fixed itself! This time, everything I try wont let it start by itself...

What could be the problem?

Oh!

if i close the door it starts but doesnt stay on...

if i open the door it doesnt even start

so im guessing that switch to check if the dryer door is open is still good..... what do you think?

here are some pictures that could aid in finding the problem:

To view all the pics in a gallery:
http://img213.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dryer014lc8.jpg

or seperately....
http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dryer014lc8.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dryer013ld0.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dryer012ke5.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dryer010tb9.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dryer008ip0.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dryer003am3.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dryer001em6.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-06, 05:31 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carputer
Hey everyone, i just found this forum from a Thanks everyone!
It's my understanding that dryers have a form of centrifugal switch that ties in with the door switch. This is why you can open the door when it is running and, if you close it before the drum slows to much, it will continue running. It's the 'click' you here after you open the door and the drum slows down.

Since it starts, we can rule out the door switch.

Old 10-17-06, 06:18 AM
C
Originally Posted by Pendragon
It's my understanding that dryers have a form of centrifugal switch that ties in with the door switch. This is why you can open the door when it is running and, if you close it before the drum slows to much, it will continue running. It's the 'click' you here after you open the door and the drum slows down.

Since it starts, we can rule out the door switch.
can you identify the problem in the pictures?

i read about a centrifugal switch, but cant find out how to test it / find it. I see soemthing near the left side of motor, its hard to see properly but everything seems alright..

Im so out of ideas and im going to get in trouble if this thing doesnt get put back together soon!!!!

Last edited by carputer; 10-17-06 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-17-06, 10:33 AM
R
carputer,

The centrifugal switch is on the motor. When you press the start button, the circuit to run the motor is completed. As soon as the motor spins up, the centrifugal switch on the motor closes and keeps the motor running after you release the start button...until the timer turns if off or you open the door. It actually functions electrically in parallel with the start switch.

Testing this switch can be challenging. Since the motor has to run, the power has to be on. If you are not comfortable (and competent) and around electricity, you may want to hire someone to troubleshoot it.

That said, look closely at the motor wiring and look for any loose or burnt connections. Are the wires in the original configuration? Could they possibly have been rearranged during disassembly and reassembly?

Old 10-17-06, 11:25 AM
C
Originally Posted by Randy Mallory
carputer,

The centrifugal switch is on the motor. When you press the start button, the circuit to run the motor is completed. As soon as the motor spins up, the centrifugal switch on the motor closes and keeps the motor running after you release the start button...until the timer turns if off or you open the door. It actually functions electrically in parallel with the start switch.

Testing this switch can be challenging. Since the motor has to run, the power has to be on. If you are not comfortable (and competent) and around electricity, you may want to hire someone to troubleshoot it.

That said, look closely at the motor wiring and look for any loose or burnt connections. Are the wires in the original configuration? Could they possibly have been rearranged during disassembly and reassembly?

nope I didnt change any wires around, I did last time, when i changed the element, but its been working after ive done that...

what really frustrates me is that i took it apart just to clean the venting system, and now this happened!!!

it must be something around the motor, because I moved the motor a little to clean the ventilation and put it back after

update:!

I found on the left side of the motor a wire that leads to a small black box (some type of fuse or something, one wire in one wire out) that says :MICROSWITCH, its too far and too small to see the writing unless I take it apart.. i dont have time to take it apart but I will later on tonight.

This black box goes to the start switch. If you look closely on the pictures of the switch, there are two wires on one side of the switch!!!

IM GUESSING: one for the START of the motor, probably,,, and another for continuation without the switch depressed?

Could this be the problem?

Last edited by carputer; 10-17-06 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-17-06, 12:03 PM
C
ill post pics tonight

Old 10-17-06, 12:30 PM
R
Not sure about the two wires on one side being the problem. My experience with these things is anything but recent, but most microswitches I'm familiar with have the connections all on one end. There are typically three connections, not all necessarily used. A common, normally open (NO), and normally closed (NC). I suspect your wires will be connect to the common and the NO connections.

However, the "microswitch" is probably the right area to looking. A microswitch can be used for many, many things...one of which is a "centrifugal" switch. They are just as the name implies, a "micro" switch. It is actuated by the motor by way of a mechanism that senses centrifugal force. I think they are something like a flywheel that expands when spun up.

I expect you will find your problem by close visual examination. Here's hoping.

Old 10-17-06, 05:19 PM
C
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/2526/dryer018jv7.jpg

<emo>heres a picture of the microswitch.

its still not working.

I hate life. </emo> lol

Old 10-17-06, 05:53 PM
R
carputer,

The picture is a bit confusing. Is this switch actually mounted on the motor near one end? I can't actually make out the motor in the picture. As I said, it has been a while since I worked on these things. I don't have a crystal clear picture of what it should look like in my mind, but it doesn't look like what I would have expected.

BTW, life is good. You just have to reinvest in your religion periodically. You alway lose a bit of "religion" when you're working on this type of problem.

Old 10-17-06, 06:42 PM
C
carputer,

The picture is a bit confusing. Is this switch actually mounted on the motor near one end? I can't actually make out the motor in the picture. As I said, it has been a while since I worked on these things. I don't have a crystal clear picture of what it should look like in my mind, but it doesn't look like what I would have expected.

BTW, life is good. You just have to reinvest in your religion periodically. You alway lose a bit of "religion" when you're working on this type of problem.
the motor is to the right of the picture

the black thing doesnt seem like a centrifugal switch, im not even sure that could be the problem. I guess ill have to call a technician

Old 10-17-06, 07:21 PM
R
carputer,

Sorry I can't be more help. It has been many years (30) since I worked on major appliances for a living. I can't tell you how much I've forgotten. However, the symptom you describe sounds like it HAS TO BE the centrifugal switch or related wiring/connections. I understand your frustration.

Do you have, or can you find a repair manual/parts list for your dryer?

Old 10-17-06, 07:23 PM
C
carputer,

Sorry I can't be more help. It has been many years (30) since I worked on major appliances for a living. I can't tell you how much I've forgotten. However, the symptom you describe sounds like it HAS TO BE the centrifugal switch or related wiring/connections. I understand your frustration.

Do you have, or can you find a repair manual/parts list for your dryer?
i just found the centrifugal switch, i removed the dust and it seems to be moving freely, but i dont know how its supposed to work so I dont know how to test it without starting it...

would it be possible to try it without having the drum inside the dryer? are there any risks of doing this??

Thanks!

Old 10-17-06, 08:00 PM
R
carputer,

I wish someone with more recent experience would chime in here. I don't recall any reason that you can't test this without the drum, but I don't know what changes have been made in dryer design over the years. Don't forget, you'll have to actuate the door switch at the very least.

I would just look over the switch and its mounting and connections very closely. If you can easily remove the switch, maybe you'll be able to actuate it manually. If so, you could check it with an ohmmeter. Alternatively, if you can disconnect the wires at the switch, you could possibly "fake" it out by shorting the two connections together. Again, only if you feel competent and comfortable doing this.

Good luck on whatever you decide. I'm afraid I'll be signing off for tonight. I'll check in again at around 7:00am EDT, tomorrow.

Old 10-17-06, 08:37 PM
C
I took the motor apart and was able to loosen the microswitch, i found out that the part number is 1pl67-br, and its just a regular push switch,,,, i dont know what its supposed to do maybe reset something??,,, ideas anyone??

Old 10-17-06, 08:49 PM
C
carputer,

I wish someone with more recent experience would chime in here. I don't recall any reason that you can't test this without the drum, but I don't know what changes have been made in dryer design over the years. Don't forget, you'll have to actuate the door switch at the very least.

I would just look over the switch and its mounting and connections very closely. If you can easily remove the switch, maybe you'll be able to actuate it manually. If so, you could check it with an ohmmeter. Alternatively, if you can disconnect the wires at the switch, you could possibly "fake" it out by shorting the two connections together. Again, only if you feel competent and comfortable doing this.

Good luck on whatever you decide. I'm afraid I'll be signing off for tonight. I'll check in again at around 7:00am EDT, tomorrow.
Thank you for your help!!!!!

Old 10-17-06, 10:09 PM
C
I FIXED IT!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYY

it was the microswitch!!! the metal pin for the dryer strap wasnt placed properly and the switch wasnt depressed..god!

a whole day of messing around, 4 full reassemblies, just to find a loose wire, and a piece of metal that wasnt placed properly!!

Thanks for everyones help!!!!

Old 10-18-06, 05:08 AM
R
Good deal. Betcha love life now!

Old 10-18-06, 06:59 AM
C
Good deal. Betcha love life now!
hehe,,,

that was just a joke before. hence the <emo></emo>

Old 10-12-10, 09:39 PM
S
I have the exact problem. Once I let go of the start button (turn), it stops working.

Its a moffat 4 cycle dryer. Reading the thread it seems like the problem can be the centrifugal switch or microswitch.

Is the switch at the back of the dryer?

How to take apart the dryer, to reach to the back?

To carputer:

Can you explain to me in details how you rearranged the "metal pin for the dryer strap" and rearranged the 'switch' that wasn't "depressed".

Many thanks.

Old 10-13-10, 04:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Never heard of your dryer please give model # and name Thanks.

Old 10-13-10, 05:52 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The parts involved would be in, and mounted on, the motor. The console switch itself is good, otherwise it would not start up at all.

It doesn't STAY running because either something is broke with the mechanics of the centrifuge part in the motor itself, or, contact points involved, that keep it going, are arced.

There is likely a plastic box with a number of wires plugged into it, on the outside of the motor. You could try to open that up, if you can (I've done it) and see if any of the contacts are burned inside, if you are daring, and want to have a go at this yourself, if this machine is old enough and out of warranty. If you find such bad contacts, you can possibly file them (done that).

[Obviously you do such work with the machine unplugged.]