Ice Maker leaking

Old 10-21-06, 07:13 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ice Maker leaking

I have a Whirlpool ED22DQ with the ice maker in the door. Thursday when I got home from work here was a very large puddle in front of the fridge. The water ruined about 80 sf of laminate flooring and even went into a carpeted area about 10 ft away. The carpet is still wet, 2 days later. It looks as if the amount might have been 8-10 gallons. My question is - could an unlevel ice tray cause this much water to leak? It is currently not leaking, but it happened twice before (on a MUCH smaller scale). I'm not sure I want to replace the laminate until I figure this out.

Old 10-21-06, 01:24 PM
D
Whirlpool

Is the water leaking out of the freezer from the icemaker overflowing? Or could it be leaking elsewhere? Water valve, water through door? Your icemaker only allows a certain amount of time for the fill cycle so even if ice tray is not level, only a small amount of water would spill over. It sounds like the water valve in back where supply line hooks to is staying open every once in awhile. Could be getting corroded or a piece of sediment stuck in it. Dave

Old 10-21-06, 06:14 PM
D
It is leaking from the front of the freezer. There is no water behind or under the unit, just in front. So if the shut off valve is defective, it could be not shutting off, over filling the tray, then leaking down thru the ice door. Does that sound possible? While I have never actually seen the water coming out of the freezer, I did notice the little dip pan where the ice and water come out was full of water. So I assume he wae is comin out the ice door.

Old 10-21-06, 06:49 PM
D
Ice maker

Sounds like the water valve. Not a very expensive part & fairly easy to replace.

Old 10-22-06, 03:53 AM
"The carpet is still wet, 2 days later."
--> Have you pulled the wet carpet back from the wall and put fans blowing on it? If not, Shop Vac it first (if available), then pull it back and set fan(s) to blow on wet areas.

"It looks as if the amount might have been 8-10 gallons."
--> WOW. THAT'S A LOT OF WATER to leak from the refrigerator. There's only one way to get that much of a leak: the icemaker water isn't always shutting off when it should.

"It sounds like the water valve in back where supply line hooks to is staying open every once in awhile. Could be getting corroded or a piece of sediment stuck in it."
--> Yeah. If the solenoid doesn't close, water keeps running until the next cycle when it shuts off. That could cause an 8 - 10 gallon leak.

"Sounds like the water valve. Not a very expensive part & fairly easy to replace."
--> Totally agree. I'd do this immediately! Then I'd monitor the unit frequently over a week or so before even considering replacing the flooring -- plus you want to make sure the subflooring has had plenty of time to dry out.

Old 10-22-06, 06:04 AM
D
Thanks for your help. On Monday I'm going to call around for the part.

Old 10-22-06, 08:25 AM
D
Ice Maker

For your info the part # of water valve is 2188542.

Old 10-22-06, 11:30 AM
D
Originally Posted by dave6466
For your info the part # of water valve is 2188542.
Thanks. I got some time to look at the fridge a little more and discovered a leak in the supply line right above where it comes in from the crawl space. I don't think this is all the issue, though. I mean there was a lot of water and damage on the floor in front of the fridge and almost no damage done behind the fridge. I appears that some water from the supply line leak has made it's way under the laminate floor. I'm not sure how far it has traveled. You don't think that the water could make it's way under the laminate and then come back up and puddle on top of the floor 4-5 ft away? I'm going to talk with my insurance agent on Monday. This may be bigger than what I thought.

Old 10-22-06, 02:05 PM
"...discovered a leak in the supply line right above where it comes in from the crawl space"

Is this leak above or below floor level? Is the leak a dripping leak, or a pinhole leak where water is spewing out? Have you gone in the crawl space to view any damage down there? Is the floor in front of the refrigerator below the floor in back so that the water could have flowed from the back?

Old 10-22-06, 04:08 PM
D
Originally Posted by bigfred
"...discovered a leak in the supply line right above where it comes in from the crawl space"

Is this leak above or below floor level? Is the leak a dripping leak, or a pinhole leak where water is spewing out? Have you gone in the crawl space to view any damage down there? Is the floor in front of the refrigerator below the floor in back so that the water could have flowed from the back?
The leak is about 1 inch above floor level and it is a drip leak. There is a return air duct next to the supply line. When I went into the crawl space there was water dripping down the duct work. I moved some of the insulation and the subfloor looks ok. It appears that the floor does have a slight slope toward the front of the fridge. I pulled the carpet back in the adjoining room and the subfloor is damp. There must be a slope from the fridge into the adjoining room, about 12-14' away. My gues is the water traveled under the laminate into the carpet. I just can't figure how there was standing water on top of the laminate in the kitchen. Unless the amount of water was so great it came up thru the seems in the laminate. It would seem that this would take a HUGE amount of water to do this. Maybe I have two issues - the leaking supply line and a defective fill valve. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-24-06, 11:10 AM
D
Can some one tell me if this is possible? There is a leak in the supply line to the ice maker at the spot where it goes into the floor (in back of the fridge). The water leaks over and under the laminate floor. There is no water (or marks) under or in back of the fridge due to the fan underneath the fridge. Could this fan push the water in front of the fridge and not leave any residue?

Old 10-24-06, 03:17 PM
"Maybe I have two issues - the leaking supply line and a defective fill valve."
--> I think you're right.
--> I would go ahead and repair the leak in the water line, and replace the water control solenoid (it doesn't cost enough to warrant messing around).
--> You may need some advice on fixing the water leak. If so, be sure and describe what type of pipe you have.

"Can some one tell me if this is possible?..."
--> I wouldn't worry about this now. I'd just get the stuff fixed and expect that to resolve the matter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: