Burning rubber smell from washing machine

Old 10-26-06, 11:53 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Burning rubber smell from washing machine

Hoping someone can help me with this one. Frigidaire washing machine only 2 years old and I'm smelling burning rubber on the rinse cycle and possible smoke??? Although it's rinsing, it's not doing a full rinse as there is about 1 inch of water left in the machine. Anyone have any ideas?? I do have a technician coming out tonight but I would like to know what I'm looking at when he comes out so I know what he's talking about (lol) it's the woman thing I guess. I don't want him thinking I know absolutley nothing about this. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Laura

Old 10-26-06, 12:18 PM
L
Question

Would anyone have any idea what this could be??? Anybody? Belt, motor? Has this happened to anyone else?

Old 10-26-06, 04:37 PM
D
Rubber smell

Sounds like a belt slipping. Normal replacement part if washer is used alot over the 2 years.

Old 10-27-06, 07:50 AM
L
This is what the technician found out yesterday-
The drain pump is clear, no blockages
Ideler pulley is intact
Motor pulley turns, but the belt does not
The main pulley on the transmission appears to be stuck.

However, he wasn't sure the best way to fix this problem. Any ideas I can pass on to him. Thank you.

Old 10-27-06, 08:05 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
What kind of tech doesn't know what to do if the transmission pulley is stuck? I'd look for someone else.

Old 10-27-06, 09:12 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I once had a washer that produced a burn odor and specks of black soot on washer and dryer. It was going on 10 years old. The service man identified the problem as the clutch. He recommended replacement rather than an investment in the older, less expensive model.

Old 10-28-06, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
There is a device on many washers called a wig-wag.
It consists of two solenoids on an arm that moves. This arm is what changes the transmission from wash to spin.
The solenoids may not be moving the arm fully to engage the transmission.
Or, the transmission has siezed and needs to be replaced.

I agree that you have for sure called the wrong person.
Call a service company that does approved warranty repairs for your make of machine.
There is a possibility that your machine has an extended warranty on the transmission.

Let us know how you make out.

Old 10-30-06, 06:31 AM
L
Well not good news-- 2 other tech's said I need a new transmission and think I would be better off buying a new washer than waste my money trying to fix this Fridgidair that everyone says has always been a major problem (now I know). So I think I will look around for a used Whirlpool this time. Thanks for your responses everyone, greatly appreciated.

Laura

Old 10-30-06, 07:33 AM
S
Group Moderator
A lot of things have become disposable in our society and you've seen that the washing machine is getting there as well.

Old 10-30-06, 07:50 AM
D
Frigidaire

Get your owners manual out & look at the warranty clause for your machine. Most manufactorers offer 1 year on everything & 5 on transmission. 2 years for a tranny to last would not be ok with me. I would be calling Frigidaire & raising heck. They should pay for a new tranny but you will probably have to pay the labor to install it.

Old 11-22-06, 12:30 PM
L
Just to give you all an update. The transmission was in fact still under warranty. I had it replaced a couple of days ago and it feels so good to have my washing machine back in order! Thanks for all your tips.

Laura

Old 11-22-06, 12:49 PM
S
Group Moderator
Glad we could help and thank you for posting back with the outcome.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: