Maytag LDE410 electric dryer possible blower wheel problem.

Old 10-28-06, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag LDE410 electric dryer possible blower wheel problem.

I have a Maytag LDE410 electric dryer. It is making loud clunking, and last use was drying very slowly. I've taken the front panel and shroud off, and guessing a blower wheel problem. The blower wheel looks good and seems to have the clamp on it securely. But the wheel slides front and back freely on its shaft. I am guessing the noise is the wheel bumping against the front of its housing. I assume that should not happen but I don't see what should hold it in place. From the pictures I see on-line, it looks like the wheel is complete. Is there something that fits onto the end of the motor shaft to hold the wheel in place? I see a "retaining ring" (unpictured) here http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi...1043&brand=MAC as something often bought with the wheel. Would that be what I need?

Last edited by JPA2; 10-28-06 at 02:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-06, 06:30 PM
Blower wheel

The blower wheel has a flat spot on it to match the flat spot on the motor shaft. Over time, from the torc of the motor, the flat spot gets rounded out & wheel slips & wobbles on shaft. Never getting up to full speed. Your new wheel will fit snuggly on motor shaft & new clamp that comes with wheel will keep it in place. Dave

Old 10-30-06, 04:25 PM
Dave, thanks for that helpful information. As I was looking up the part numbers on-line, I realized there is also an inexpensive "retaining ring" I was missing. As I was trying to get to removing the old blower wheel, there is a screw in a tight spot I can't get out without special tools so I'm going to have to call in a repair man anyway, so I'll get to see if he agrees with my blower wheel problem diagnosis.