Kenmore Heavy Duty 80 Series Washer

Old 10-29-06, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Heavy Duty 80 Series Washer

This is a direct drive washer that is about 12 years old. It quit working today and what it does is it runs intermittently but the motor is much louder than normal. It will agitate, spin and pump out the water but only for a few seconds and then shuts off again. When it is spinning it never gets up to full speed. After sitting for awhile it will run again for a very short time. The tub seems a little hard to turn by hand, but then again I never turned it by hand before so I don't know if that is normal or not.

Sounds like something is making the motor overheat. I took the cabinet apart and the coupler looks intact and I don't see any pieces of plastic underneath it. No burn marks anywhere that I can tell either.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-06, 12:56 PM
As further information, I took the motor off and the coupling is OK, though a little stretched, and the motor spins freely. It does seem like the tub and the agitator are pretty hard to turn, though.

Old 10-29-06, 02:01 PM
Kenmore

Sounds like the bearings going bad on motor. 12 years is along time. I would try running the motor while its just laying on the floor not attatched to the coupler. If it still sounds loud & overheats & shuts off then you know for sure motor needs replaced. Dave

Old 10-29-06, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the reply. I did as you suggested and the motor made the noise and shut off after a little while. Looks like it's the motor. I take it there's no repairing the motor? Just replace it?

Thanks again Dave.

Old 10-29-06, 03:32 PM
Kenmore

No. Bearings can't be replaced on those motors. Gotta get a new one. Do a search on the internet or check Sears website for the best price. Dave

Old 10-29-06, 04:03 PM
I did. Looks like I can get one for about $125 with shipping. Cheaper than a new washer.

Odd thing, though, I put it back together to make sure everything was still working OK before I order the new motor and now it is working fine. I suspect this will probably be temporary, but I wonder, since you've been so helpful Dave, is this normal when the bearings are bad?

Thanks.

Old 10-29-06, 04:51 PM
Kenmore

If motor is still noisy, its just a matter of time. I'd run it untill it seizes up & won't come on at all. The motor has thermal protection so it shuts itself off untill it cools, so you might be able to limp it along for a few more loads. One more thought though. Was motor really hot when it shut off? If so, motor going bad for sure. If not overly hot, I've seen a terminal either on motor itself or plug-in harness that gets arced-up & overheats. You might want to look at that. Clean it up with some sandpaper. Maybe from you moving motor around the terminal is making a better connection now. You might want to do a few more loads of laundry before you order a new motor. Those terminals are pretty small compared to the older style washers. Dave

Old 10-29-06, 08:25 PM
Good suggestion. I'll check that out.

I don't think the motor really was that hot because it only ran for 15 or 20 seconds, though I didn't really feel it to see.

Thanks again. This was extremely helpful.