Jenn Air W131 Oven temp is low?

Old 11-02-06, 04:47 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jenn Air W131 Oven temp is low?

Hi,

I'm new here, so Hi to everyone. I have a oven that takes many more minutes to cook than normal. I have replaced the temperature sensor 2 times now and it still does not heat up to the correct temperature.

Here's a little background on the thing;

After my wife used the auto clean function a couple of years ago, the display started beeping with F2 (I think) , whatever the exact code was it was related to the sensor in the oven, I purchased a new one and proceeded to replace the old one. When I removed the old sensor I noticed that someone had replaced it already, and used wire nuts/electrical tape to connect it. I also noticed that one of the wired from the sensor was shorted to the oven cavity in the outside back. Nevertheless I replaced it, and all appeard to work normal.

A year later my wife started complaining that the oven was not cooking as fast as it used to. I again, replaced the sensor, still the same. We tried the little hanging oven thermomitor's from the grocery store (2 of them) and they would read ~250 to 300 deg when the oven beeped stating it was at 350 deg. I placed a hot liquid therm. in the oven and it read much closer to 350 deg when the oven beeped. I looked on the internet and found that I could use one of the sensors that the oven uses in the back along with a Ohm meter to measure the temp. I took one of the 2 old sensors and read the Ohm's at room temperature and next in the oven @ 350, I cannot remember the Ohm reaqding now this the sensor was supposed to be at 350 but it was very very close to what I read on some web site (1100 Ohms seems very familiar, but I can't remember).

At this point I don't know what to check next, the control pannel is ~ $250 - $300 bucks, I do electronics for a living, adnd could probably repair the old one but I just don't know how I should be measuring the temp in the oven to determine if the pannel is bad ir possible one of the heating elements are intermittent. As a reference, lastnight my wife made some of those cookies that you can buy at the store, just breah the dough apart and place on cookie sheet, the package stated 350 deg for 10 to 12 minutes. she set the oven to 425 and it took twice as long to cook them ~ 25 minutes.

Any ideas would really help me get out of the dog house.

Thanks,

o.c.d.

Old 11-04-06, 08:37 AM
O
Update

Last night I removed the control panel, checked all of the resistors that were part of the sensor circuit, all read correct according to their color codes. I also bought some circuit board cleaner from radio shack and cleaned the front and back of the cpu circuit board, reordered the all the pins on the main IC and the op-amp IC that the temp sensor eventually connects to. I replaced 2 4.7 micro farad caps, and one 47 micro farad capacitor (only because I had some laying around). I also removed and sanded the contacts of both the broil and bake relays.

I placed the control panel back in the oven and set the temp to 350, after about 10 to 15 minutes the oven beeped, and there was a noticeable smell (like the oven had been hotter than it has been in a while), I checked the temp on 2 hanging thermometers inside the oven and finally they both read ~ 345 to 350 degrees. I don’t know exactly what was bad, I suspect it was the contacts on the relay’s, at this point I don’t really care because I'm out of the dog house!!

Old 11-07-09, 09:02 AM
M
Probably relay panel

Read your post. I have similar problem except oven not turning on. I replaced the control panel. But now need to replace/repair relay panel which controls the oven, fan, etc.
Haven't figured out how to repair w/o buying a new panel. Not interested in purchasing panel for $265...especially after paying $172 for control panel. I am insearch of how to repair both circuit boards and return control panel purchased.
If you find info, please post.
Thanks,
Moe44

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: