Attention dishwasher experts: Maytag Dishwasher wash arms not spinning

Old 11-08-06, 09:45 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attention dishwasher experts: Maytag Dishwasher wash arms not spinning

Hello,

I have a 2003 Amana SofSound I dishwasher, model# ADB1200AWS. There is no water pressure coming from the pump and none of the wash arms are spinning.

Here's what I've done to troubleshoot so far:

- Check water inlet valve filter, OK, filter is clean
- Checked water level after fill cycle, OK (just touching the heating element)
- Check wash arms for blockages, OK
- Checked impeller & macerator for obstructions, OK
- Checked drain filter for blockages, OK
- Checked to see if water is draining during cycle, it is not
- Checked to see if wash arms and impeller spin freely, they do.
- Checked water temp, it's hot!

Additional Info:
- No weird noises, the dishwasher sounds like it's working normally
- Dishwasher drains fine, leaves just a little water at very bottom of tub
- Water pressure at sink next to dishwasher is normal
- When I open the dishwasher during the cycle I hear a hissing sound and it's steamy, I couldn't isolate where this was coming from, it almost seemed like it was the water in the tub hitting the heating element.

Any ideas?!?! I'm stuck!

Thanks!

Mike

Old 11-08-06, 04:45 PM
D
Maytag

Sounds like not enough water in dishwasher. In mine, the water is over the heating element. Not just touching it. Thats why you are getting steam & hissing sounds. Element should be immersed during wash. There should be a float on the inside front of the dishwasher. See if you can gently move it up & down by hand. Sometimes the shaft gets soap built up on it & it hangs up. The float activates a micro-switch that kills power to inlet valve to prevent overflow. If that seems ok, could be inlet valve not opening all the way due to dirt or corrosion. You can also try adding some water by hand to see for sure if its a water fill problem or a pump problem. Dave

Old 11-08-06, 04:59 PM
I agree with dave6466, especially since I recently had a problem with my Maytag dishwasher (wasn't draining), and while I had the kick plate off I noted that the fill switch wasn't operating right. It's shaft was gummed up. Mine was on the bottom left front.

Old 11-09-06, 11:34 AM
H
Thanks for you replies!

I tried adding about a quart of water right after the fill cycle but still no luck, none of the wash arms are spinning. I made sure the heating element was submerged. The float does move up and down freely.

Is the fill switch the same thing as the water inlet valve? If so I did check that and the filter was clean.

One thing I did notice, the heating element is not level, it is lower in the front than it is in the back. It's always been like this, even when the dishwasher was working.

Anything else I can check? Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Old 11-09-06, 03:04 PM
Is the fill switch the same thing as the water inlet valve?

No. They are two separate units. On my dishwasher the fill switch is located in front of the water inlet solenoid (as viewed from front of unit). It is right below the float which has a plastic shaft that extends down to push a plastic lever which in turn pushes the fill switch's switch lever. My unit had a gummed up plastic lever, so even though the float shaft worked freely, it couldn't push down on the switch lever, so the lever couldn't push the switch's switch up. Hard to explain...

If this doesn't solve the problem, I'd be thinking it's some problem with the washer motor/pump, either it's inlet is stopped up, or the motor isn't working right. I'd try to figure out some way to test the motor itself if I didn't find something plugging the inlet to the pump. I'd try to turn the motor by hand too. The motor is right in the middle of the unit. The other motor on the right front of the unit is the drain motor.

Old 11-21-06, 08:12 AM
H
Last night I took the dishwasher apart again to re-examine all of the parts and to see if the impeller was spinning during the cycle (previously I had the wash arm on when I checked the wash cycle). The impeller is definitely spinning but it doesn't look like it's spinning fast enough to throw the water, it's probably doing 3 or 4 revolutions a second. I checked to make sure the stem that the impeller sits on was not stripped. Is it possible that the motor was weakened somehow and is just not spinning fast enough? I don't know enough about dishwashers to make this call and say it's definitely the motor, but it really seems like this is the issue.

Old 11-22-06, 01:17 AM
I think it's more likely that something is impeding water flow to the motor than that the motor is weak. So, I'd disassemble everything down to the motor. If you don't find any broken parts or clogged passages, then it's down to the motor itself.

To test the motor you could try this site:
http://www.partselect.com/dishwasher+test-motor+repair.html

Here's another site that you might find helpful:
http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/

Good luck.

Last edited by bigfred; 11-22-06 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-13-06, 05:32 PM
A
Arrow Weak Pumping Action On Fridigaire Dishwasher

I have a similar problem where the pumping action is extremly weak on a fridigaire GLBD756AQ1 dishwasher. There was a url for a site to test the motor in this forum which is a dead link. How can I test the motor without replacing it and seeing if the problem goes away.

Andy

Old 12-14-06, 01:11 AM
Andy:

Corrected link: http://www.partselect.com/dishwasher+test-motor+repair.htm (notice the missing "l" after "htm")

Also helpful: http://www.partselect.com/dishwasher+repair+repair.htm

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: