Assistance needed with a leaking GE dishwasher

Old 11-11-06, 03:00 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Assistance needed with a leaking GE dishwasher

I have a leaking dishwasher. I appreciate any help you can give me. Its a GE model GSD2230Z04WW. It is probably 5-6 years old.

I removed the lower front two panels in order to verify I had a leak. The leak is small and has only been occuring for a short period of time.

The leak is not coming from a hose or the connection to the housing pump. However, its coming from an attachment connected to the housing pump.

My leak begins when the dishwasher transitions from the wash cycle to the rinse cycle. It also occurs at the end of the rinse cycle. Its worse at the end of the rinse cycle.

When the dishwasher switches cycles, a plastic piece moves up and down. This plastic piece is attached to the housing pump. The water comes out of the housing pump, down the attachment and runs down the side of an cylinder shaped electrical piece.

If I had to guess, there is a seal behind this attachment and it has broken or worn out. I've considered using a cure all sealant but I believe that would glue/immobilize the plastic piece that swivels up and down when the cycles change.

Can my leak be fixed or am I better of getting a new dishwasher?

Old 11-12-06, 08:57 AM
D
GE dishwasher

There is a seal there that can be replaced. That piece that moves is the diverter valve. It moves a flapper that allows the water to be pumped out. However, to get at it your going to have to take the whole dishwasher out from under counter to work on it. Seal part # WD8X181 is what you need. GE doesn't offer the pump as a seperate part. You have to buy the pump & motor as one unit. Pretty expensive. If you could buy just the pump that would be the way to go. Its either replace the seal or the motor-pump assembly. Dave

Old 11-13-06, 05:32 AM
R
In your opinion, would I be better off

a) replacing the seal
b) replacing the motor-pump assembly
c) getting a new dishwasher

If the answer is B, Im thinking a new dishwasher might be the way to go because the leaking dishwasher is 5-6 years old.

Do you feel replacing the seal (option A) will be successful? Id hate to invest the time only to find out it was a temporary fix. The seal itself is $13 so thats nothing.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 11-13-06 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-13-06, 02:52 PM
D
GE dishwasher

I would try replacing the seal. I don't believe it is very time consuming. It will probably take longer to remove dishwasher & re-install than seal takes. The new seal will last a long time. Dave

Old 05-09-09, 12:16 PM
I
GE dishwasher seal

I went to buy this seal and was told they are no longer available.
Motor pump assembly is about $130
i passed, will find an O ring to fit !!!

Old 05-09-09, 12:54 PM
D
Appliancepartspros, repairclinic.com and Sears all show WD8X181 as an in stock part. I even found it on ebay for $6 with $3 shipping. They have 8 in stock.

Old 05-09-09, 10:02 PM
I
Seal for GE diverter valve

Yes I found the seal is still available today, my local parts guy was miss-informed.
I found it online and it has a new part number....AP2038837
I already repaired it with two O rings, one inside the other and a Stainless steel washer, and some silicone grease.
Works OK, a bit slow returning when solenoid is turned off, but no leaks

Old 05-09-09, 10:38 PM
D
Sounds good! Thanks for the feedback.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: