Frigidaire Dryer OVERheating.. (yikes!)

Old 11-13-06, 05:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire Dryer OVERheating.. (yikes!)

Heya guys.. first time poster, long time lurker here. This is a pretty nifty forum, I must say. I finally need some help from you guys..

I have a Frigidaire electric dryer that is about 8 years old (1998). Its probably their basic model from that year, or close to it. I've had no problems with it up until recently. Seemingly all of a sudden, it now overheats to the point where you can't even touch the top of the dryer when it is on. It doesn't matter which setting it is on (low, mid, or high heat), it heats up to this extreme every time.

Can anyone help me out?

I've read where people have had no heat, but I can't find a FAQ answer that explains what needs to be fixed/replaced with it overheating.

Any help here would be MUCH appreciated. :-)

~Andrew
La Crosse, WI

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-06, 05:18 PM
Frigidaire overheat

Check dryer element for a spot where element might be touching frame. Could be grounding out & staying on all the time. Also make sure the vent hose is clean to the outside. Dave

Old 10-24-07, 05:06 AM
I also am new to this. I have a dryer that also gets extremely hot on top

Originally Posted by dave6466 View Post
Check dryer element for a spot where element might be touching frame. Could be grounding out & staying on all the time. Also make sure the vent hose is clean to the outside. Dave
The frigidaire model fde7971ew2 gets hot on top, but also on the back just below the frame. There is even a brown mark, like it is burnt. Any ideas? Thanks... Steve

Old 10-24-07, 09:52 AM
Stat stuck shut?

Mine had the same problem. It was a thermostat stuck shut, and it was the one at the end of the exhaust tube.
Unplug, rem. the back, rem. the wires to the stat and check for continuity. With the dryer off and cold, the stat should be open. I'll bet'cha it's stuck in the closed mode.

Old 10-24-07, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by qwincyguy View Post
Mine had the same problem. It was a thermostat stuck shut, and it was the one at the end of the exhaust tube.
Unplug, rem. the back, rem. the wires to the stat and check for continuity. With the dryer off and cold, the stat should be open. I'll bet'cha it's stuck in the closed mode.
Thank you Qwincyguy,
so say check for continuity?? Don't understand what you mean? Do I need a new thermostat? Thr dryer hadn't been run in about 2 years?

Old 10-24-07, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by tec6422 View Post
Thank you Qwincyguy,
so say check for continuity?? Don't understand what you mean? Do I need a new thermostat? Thr dryer hadn't been run in about 2 years?

Actually, the thermostat would be closed when it's cold and open when it's hot. You'll want to check for a grounded element, lint builup inside, obstucted hose or oulet. If these dryers are getting very hot while running they should be blowing the fusible link. A grounded element would cause the dryer to feel hot even though it's not running [plugged in of course].

Old 10-24-07, 03:15 PM
Cont. check on a stat

Thanks, daddyjohn. I sure had that back-asswards.

Old 10-25-07, 05:17 AM
Not hot when just plugged in..

The dryer is only extremely hot while running. When not, cold as a fish.... Do you think it is lint build up? But there is a burnt mark in the back of the dryer? I am confused. maybe it is the thermostat?? Any help is appreciated..

Steve

Old 10-25-07, 06:52 AM
The dryer is only extremely hot while running. When not, cold as a fish.... Do you think it is lint build up? But there is a burnt mark in the back of the dryer? I am confused. maybe it is the thermostat?? Any help is appreciated..

Steve
well, I suggest taking it apart and see if it's linted up. That sure beats a fire.

Old 10-25-07, 07:36 AM
I will do that. I was thinking more the thermostat was stuck or needs replacing....
Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated!

Old 10-25-07, 10:44 AM
Pull the dryer away from the wall and disconnect the exhaust from the tube. Vacuum out the dryer and then you can either vac out the tube or R&R it if it's an accordion-fold plastic or aluminum foil thing. They're easily replaced by rigid ones, and they are safer.

Old 10-25-07, 12:32 PM
I will do that. I was thinking more the thermostat was stuck or needs replacing....
Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated!
well it's very possible that you might have a bad stat. However, most dryers have two safties built in. One is a high limit stat that will shut off the heater if the temperature gets high. The other is a non-resettable fusible link that will blow if the temp gets real hot. Cleaning is the first thing to look into. What happens with the clothes? Do they get excessively hot?