Kenmore Washer Motor Keeps Overheating

Old 11-17-06, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Washer Motor Keeps Overheating

I posted a message earlier on my washer problems and apparently have an entirely different problem than I thought I did before so I'm starting a new thread on it.

My Kenmore Heavy Duty direct drive washer (12 years old) quit working recently and the problem seemed to be the motor. It would agitate or spin for a short time and then shut off. After it sat for awhile it would start again. Made sense that it was overheating and the suggestion made was that the motor had gone bad. Well I just tried the second new motor and all of them do the same thing - run for less than 10 seconds and then shut off. When I feel them they feel rather warm. (Don't know how warm they should be). By the way, this is with the motor sitting on the floor unattached to anything so I know it isn't a problem with the drum or anything.

It's got to be an electrical problem but I've looked at all of the connections and don't see anything black. Could it be a bad switch or something? Does anyone know how you electrically test things on it? I've tried a meter on the wires coming into the motor and any that read anything are reading 125 volts.

Really desparate here . . . going to the laundromat is getting ooooold.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-06, 10:10 AM
Kenmore

New motor still the same problem? Only thing I can think of to do is go to the same wires at motor that you had 125 volts & see if voltage is still there after motor shuts off. If not, could be bad contacts in timer overheating & not sending voltage down untill they cool again. If voltage is still going to motor after motor stops its highly unlikely but always possible you got a bad replacement motor.

Old 11-18-06, 12:06 PM
Actually all three motors (the old one and the two new ones) were doing the same thing. Run for less than 10 seconds and then shut off. If I left them go the motor would start again in a couple of minutes before shutting off again.

However, I have an update. As a result of my continually trying the motors, the washer has gotten to the point of not getting any voltage at all to the motor. First it quit working when I set it on the final spin cycle and would only do it on the rinse cycle and now it doesn't work at all. Does that sound like the timer? The thing is I replaced the timer probably in the last two years. The last time it had visible burn marks on it. This time it looks OK.

Thanks.

Old 11-18-06, 12:23 PM
Kenmore

OK. One last idea. Try bypassing the lid switch. Jump the 2 outside wires on the plug the goes into the recepticle on top washer shell. Could be the contacts bad on lid switch.

Old 11-18-06, 12:42 PM
Actually I did that awhile ago so I don't have to put the washer front on. I have it jumpered out. More information, though. The motor does still work but only on the rinse cycle. It runs for awhile and then shuts off. However, if I pull the wires from the motor before it does that and test them I get 115 volts. Also, I'm certain it is the thermal switch on the motors that is shutting it off. A minute or so after it stops I hear a little click on the motor. When I plug it in again it will run for a short time. So it appears something is making the motor overheat. Could that be the timer?

I really appreciate your help.

Old 11-18-06, 12:54 PM
Kenmore

Not sure. Almost sounds like motor is getting power to go forward & reverse at same time. Never ran into that before.
One more idea. Pull wires off water level switch & let hang not touching frame. Try running motor in spin cycle & see if it keeps running.

Old 11-18-06, 08:39 PM
Tried that and it gets same result. It won't run at all on the spin cycle but will run for a short time on the rinse cycle (when I say the spin cycle I mean the final spin. It does run on where it is spinning on the rinse cycle)

I should add that the motor runs very loud, with a loud hum and I just checked it this time after it shut off and the coils are very hot, burn you if you touch them more than an instant.

Thanks again.

Old 11-19-06, 09:02 AM
Kenmore

I'm running out of ideas. It still sounds like its trying to go 2 directions at the same time. I really don't want to be the one to tell you to replace the timer after only 2 years & find its not the problem although I can't find what else it could be. Last thing I can think to check. Take timer off machine & remove outer cover, turn timer by hand slowly & see if any of the contacts are sticking together as the cam tries to open them. Or if any contacts look burnt.

Old 11-21-06, 06:34 AM
Thanks again for the reply. I checked the timer and everything looks OK on it. All of the contacts click up and down and there are no burn marks anywhere on it.

I have to tell you I broke down and bought a new washer this weekend. (Going to the laundromat was getting old). I'm not giving up on the machine, however, especially since I have a couple of good motors for it. If you get any ideas in the future I'd appreciate hearing them. You can email me at [email protected] Once again, I really appreciate your thoughtful posts on this.

Thanks.

Mike

Old 11-22-06, 04:41 PM
Sounds to me like the motor is being overloaded, causing it to overheat. I'd try to determine whether the drum turns easy enough by hand.

Here's a site that might be helpful: http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/showthread.php?t=5146

Good luck.