Washer won't go into final spin....

Old 11-21-06, 04:55 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Washer won't go into final spin....

Hi, I need help. My washer quit spinning this week. Actually it quit going into the final spin. It just stops at this point and sits there with the tub full of water. It actually had done this off and on (3-4 times) over the past couple years, but all I had to do was just manually move the dial to spin or turn the dial all the way around once back to spin and it would restart and complete the cycle. However now it will not start the spin cycle at all, not even on the gentle or soak cycle. All other parts of the cycle seem to be working fine: filling, agitating, and rinsing.
My washer info:
Montgomery Ward
Norge Signature 2000 Series
Model # LNC6540A87
Serial # 098025327

Any ideas on what could be wrong or if this washer is worth saving would be greatly appreciated. Or if all I need is a part replacement, help on where I could find that part would be great. Thanks, Erica

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-06, 08:38 PM
D
Welcome to the DIY forums

No pro but here's some troubleshooting you can check out in the meanwhile.

Since it is not pumping or spinning, check this from this site:

http://www.repairclinic.com/0088_11_1.asp#Level1_3

"If it doesn't pump water out or spin, check to see if the motor is running, then proceed as follows:

* If the motor is running, your washer probably has a frozen pump pulley or a broken pump belt. To check the pulley, remove the pump from the washer and try to rotate the pulley manually. If it doesn't turn freely--if it's frozen or stiff--replace it. If the pump belt is broken or looks quite worn, replace it--but be sure to check the pump pulley before you change the belt.

* If the motor isn't running, the lid switch may be defective. If so, the washing machine can't spin and may not function at all. The switch is inside the washing machine main housing near the door frame. Often you have to raise or open the top or front of the washing machine to get to the switch. If it's defective, you need to replace it. "

Old 11-22-06, 04:29 PM
This problem is ofter caused by a faulty lid switch. Washers won't spin if the lid is up; and, sometimes the thing that pushes down on the lid switch doesn't cause the switch to open or close like it's supposed to. I had a similar problem on my Whirlpool washer due to a cracked lid switch. Fortunately I was able to epoxy the lid switch back together. So, if it is the lid switch, you may be able to repair it.

A way to test the lid switch is to unplug the machine, remove the switch, connect the two switch wires together (and not touching the machine or anything else), then plug it back in and turn the dial to where it's supposed to spin. If it spins, the lid switch is the problem.