Kenmore Defrost System Failure

Old 12-04-06, 07:09 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator was 3 months out of warranty when it experienced a defrost system failure that necessitated installing a new circuit board/defrost control module at a cost of $270. That was just over two months ago. The refrigerator again went hot yesterday and had excessive ice build-up on the freezer coils. The refrigerator is connected to an appliance surge protector which was not tripped. What could cause this to happen twice in four months? Do I just cut my losses and scrap the appliance and buy a new one?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-06, 07:03 PM
D
Kenmore

Might not be the circuit board this time. Could be a defrost heater bad under coils in freezer or the defrost thermostat clipped on coils near top. By the way, find another service tech to check it out. $270.00 was way too much for the circuit board/ defrost module. Dave

Old 12-05-06, 05:00 AM
S

What are the chances that I could experience yet another problem with the defrost system so soon after the circuit board replacement? As far as the cost of the circuit board, I was told it was so high because it was one huge board that encompassed everything as opposed to the defrost module being on its own?

Old 12-05-06, 08:16 AM
L
Smile Kenmore Defrost System Failure

Sherry,

It's most probably the thermostat which is attached to the coils on the top. So if you can remove it and replace it with new one, should take care of the frost problem on your coils. I had the same problem with my refrigerator. The new thermostat worked and there is no frosting on the coils anymore.

Old 12-05-06, 02:42 PM
D
Kenmore

The board should not have gone out in a 2 month period. However, nothing surprises me anymore with all this electronics they are putting in appliances.
I guess you have no choice but to call the tech that installed the board to come check it again. If the board is bad after that short period of time I would hope it would be under some type of warranty or at least a deep discount on another one. Could still be the thermostat or heater bad.