Please check out these pictures of my dishwasher

Old 12-12-06, 11:42 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please check out these pictures of my dishwasher

Hi all,
I have a KitchenAid Superba that hasn't been performing very superbly. I am getting tired of it. So I took it apart. In another thread that I posted someone suggested that maybe it isn't draining properly. I took out as many pieces as I could and this was as far as I could go:

http://www.cobblehillpartners.com/test/superba1.jpg

I had to clear away some gunk. So it actually was a little more gunkier than what you see in the pictures.

I also opened up the bottom. Is the blue arrow in this picture pointing to the drain pipe? Is there a possiblility that it is clogged?

http://www.cobblehillpartners.com/test/suberba2.jpg

Any suggestions of what I can do to make my dishwasher perform properly? I know the pump is good because we replaced it and it didn't make a difference. The water pressure in the house is good and we don't have hard water issues. I use powdered Cascade and I know the washer heats up properly.

Thanks!

Last edited by elbee; 12-13-06 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-12-06, 03:17 PM
E
Upon further inspection I see that the white tube is the drainpipe. It is connecting up to the airgap. The red tube is the water tube.

That white drain tube seems awfully narrow to me. How does the dishwasher drain well with such a narrow tube? I was looking at some other websites and one person said that to repair leaky drain pipes they would replace them with 7/8th inch diameter automotive hose. Do you think if I did such a modification it would improve performance? I don't have any leaks, but I am just trying to salvage this thing before I chuck it out the window (not literally, but I am so annoyed with it I want to).

Last edited by elbee; 12-12-06 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-13-06, 07:45 AM
M
Get rid of the gunk

I had the same problem until I found a wonderful product called Lemi Shine at Wal-Mart. I was ready to throw away all of my glasses and the dishwasher, too! It cleaned up the dishwasher and all the gunk in it! The dishwasher even seems to work better now. I guess that it is able to get more water to the dishes since everything isn't stopped up with gunk!
This is a miracle product. Their website is:
www.lemishine.com

Old 12-17-06, 06:56 PM
E
The lemishine didn't work for me. I am convinced that something is blocking the dishwasher (maybe a label off a jar or something). The first picture is as far as I could disassemble it. Is it possible to dissasemble it further? I didn't want to break anything. Please help!!

Old 12-17-06, 08:37 PM
C
almost there

So far it looks like you got down to the sump okay. however the chopper cover (the piece that the screw on the left came from) is stuck and beneath it is probably your problem. If you have a good pair of needle nose pliers try to grab the chopper cover by the screw hole. It will pull up at the screw hole hinging from the right side. You can also try a pick to pull it out. That it is not coming out easily means that there had been debris around it

http://www3.sears.com/imaging/ImagePageJava.shtml?productTypeID=0130000&brandID=0593&modelDesc=DISHWASHER&modelNumber=KUDI01DLBL3&documentID=W0503104&documentTypeID=PLDM&documentClassCode=PM&titleType=PUMP%20AND%20MOTOR%20PARTS&titleID=00008&

cut & paste this onto your address bar, you are trying to get to item # 6 ... # 8 is the chopper cover. this probably is not your exact model but it should help

Old 12-18-06, 06:26 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
FWIW, that drain pipe is pretty standard on dishwashers, so no, it's not undersized.

Old 12-19-06, 05:02 AM
Dishwasher performs poorly

This may sound like an odd question, but has your garbage disposal been replaced lately? Or, was the dishwasher only installed recently where there never was one previously? If either of these scenarios is the case, the reason for your problem may be that the "tab" was never removed from inside the neck of the nipple on the side of the disposal that accepts input from the dishwasher . In the case of a disposal being installed with no dishwasher, the tab would be left in place to prevent water/material from being allowed to discharge out the "input" nipple made to accept discharge from the dishwasher that isn't there. In the case where the disposal was replaced where a dishwasher was already in the kitchen, the installer may have failed to remove the tab that allows input from the dishwasher. The reason I know this, is that I replaced my disposal and suddenly the dishwasher performance became terrible. Reason: I had failed to remove the tab inside the nipple of the disposal. If this is your problem, the only way to fix it is to uninstall the disposal and remove the tab.

Old 12-19-06, 05:54 PM
C
one more thing regarding the drain hose. It should always go up from the sink, if it goes down you can get water coming in from the sink or water back flushing into the dishwasher. Almost all have back flow preventers anymore, but they don't always work very well.

Old 12-20-06, 12:57 PM
E
The needlenose pliers through the screw hole did the trick. Pulling up from that one particular spot was the only thing that released it. Before I had tried pulling it up from one of the protrusions and it felt like I was lifting up the whole assembly. So here is what the chopper looks like:

http://www.cobblehillpartners.com/test/kachopper.jpg

Other than it being gunky, I don't see anything wrong with it. I guess I will replace it anyway since it is only a $15 part and I might as well, but honestly can anyone tell me what is wrong with this thing? After doing a lot of research I have learned that on this particular model (KUDS01IJ) the choppers go bad, but visually I don't see any problems.

Any tricks on installing the new chopper?

The dishwasher came with the house that we bought 2.5 years ago. It has never worked great. During that time we have had the same garbage disposal. When the dishwasher drains I do see water going into the disposal, so I don't think it is a problem with the input nipple on the dishwasher.

I followed the drain tube under the sink it dips slightly down before it connects up to the air gap. Do you think maybe it is not dipping down enough? The hole for the drain tube is drilled at the bottom of the cabinet. Should it be drilled at the top so that the tube has more of a "U" shape?

Last edited by elbee; 12-20-06 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-20-06, 06:13 PM
C
to change the chopper use your same needle nose pliers between the 'blade' and screen. holding it this way and with some time and you will be able to slot the chopper in place then remove the pliers and the spring will snap the blade back into place.

Now for other possibilities...

clean everything up as much as you can and put unit back together. Check how much water enters the dishwasher. it should be just below the heating element. then let the unit run until the wash motor comes on. Then open the door quickly enough to see the spray arms move. there are 3 of them and it usually takes 3 times to check them all, don't forget the top one.

Finally the drain

On this style the only thing that really matters is that the drain hose goes at an upward angle out of the garbage disposal. actually try to get the hose as high as possible coming out of disposal to prevent problems. It may also help to use rinse aide in you soap dispensor.

Also does this model have a 'Sani' or 'Sanitize' option ? If so use it any see if the Sanitize light comes on. If it doesn't there may still be a heating issue or water may be entering too cold.

Old 12-21-06, 12:49 PM
E
Here is what the pipe configuration looks like

Here is a picture of what is going on under the sink. The connection from the disposal to the airgap sort of dips down a little and with the help of a copper elbow joint goes up. Is this not the proper configuration? I can change it if need be:

http://www.cobblehillpartners.com/test/pipeconfig.jpg

Old 12-21-06, 04:18 PM
C
It actually looks like your airtrap is installed upside down, which allows a lot of the water to fall back to the dishwasher. You might want to post the picture in the plumbing section to double check as plumbing isn't my best subject. In my experience you don't need an airgap with a garbage disposal and I would reccomend attaching the drain hose directly into the disposal.

Old 12-21-06, 04:50 PM
E
will do! Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: