Maytag washer (MAV9501EWW) won't spin

Old 12-14-06, 11:07 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag washer (MAV9501EWW) won't spin

Hi folks,

My Maytag Atlantis washer stated above won't spin. It agitates and drains the water OK. I replaced the Lid Switch and the Thrust Bearing is fine but it still won't spin. The belt is fine and it seems to engage OK. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-16-06, 04:23 PM
C
You should be able to grab the larger transmission pulley and spin it, one way is for agitate and the other is for spin. as you are turning in the spin direction you should notice the cam rising and releasing the brake. if you can not turn it at all you have a bad transmission. if you can turn it, once the cam releases the brake, the whole thing should turn if it doesnt turn at that point either the brake isn't releasing or the tub bearing is locked up. if the whole thing does turn than the belt is slipping too much, either due to a "slippery pulley" or a worn bearing. try cleaning the pulley, the belt should slip at first and slowly grip to spin the tub.

Old 12-19-06, 11:28 PM
A
Thanks corepairman,

Per your instructions, stated below, this is where the issue is at.

"if you can turn it, once the cam releases the brake, the whole thing should turn if it doesnt turn at that point either the brake isn't releasing or the tub bearing is locked up"

I want to point out that when I turn the pulley in the spin direction the "whole thing" does turn only momentarily though. The question I have now is how do I check the brake issue or the tub bearing issue? And, which one should I do/check first. Do I have to completely remove the transmission and/or tub? Thanks.

Old 12-20-06, 05:43 PM
C
you may have already done this when you installed the thrust bearing but if not, check the motor pulley and make sure it is not damaged, if it is not remove the white plastic cap covering the thrust bearing and on the white plactic cam there is an arrow, on the pulley there is 2 marks when turning the pulley it should start to turn while the arrow is between the 2 marks on the pulley if not. past the last mark = install thicker washer before the first mark = remove thick washer and install thinner one.

Assuming that the pulley is okay try and see if you can turn the transmission all the way around. it is okay if the brake grabs and you have to start all turning in again, we just want to know if it is capable. if not even capable, remove softner cap, remove 1/2" bolt in agitator and remove 4 - 1/2" bolts in tub. After doing this there are 2 metal tabs (one on the left and one on the right) in the front top seam. depress tabs with a stiff putty knife or thin screwdriver and top will lift up. once top lifts up carefully remove tub cover (plastic ring) by pulling slightly out on the tabs that go around the tub. remove cover and remove inner tub. unless you see something that could prevent the rub from turning, try turning transmission again. if it still won't go all the way around you will need to replace tub bearing and transmission, check your warranty many of these had 5 -10 year warranties.

If you can turn the transmission all the way around then you almost have to have a bad belt or a tight bearing. If it is one of these it shouldspin when empty but not with anything in it.

So you know the same motor action that causes the pump to drain should make it spin.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: