KitchenAid Dishwasher - particles & partly clean

Old 12-16-06, 12:42 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy KitchenAid Dishwasher - particles & partly clean

We use 130 degree water, powder detergent and Jet Dry. Heavy/stickier food sometimes requires two wash cycles (only one in the past).

The BIG issue is that very clean dishes (glassware and bowls) end up with a random coating of light particles (sometime coffee grounds or other light stuff). This light stuff also collects on the upper 1/3 of the door.

We had inadvertently washed a few jars with labels, so I thought I had gunk (labels/label glue) in my water feed tube from the pump to the top spinner and/or in the top spinner. I installed new parts in both areas, but the problem still persists.

Any thoughts?

SongFan

Old 12-16-06, 03:00 PM
C
beneath the lower spray arm is a filter. beneath the filter is a cover that covers the chopper blade, right behind the chopper is a screen that frequently gets clogged with paper. You will need to remove the dishracks, upper and lower and then unclip the water feed at the top and back wall. Then the whole assembly including bottom spray arm should pull forward slightly at the top and turn to the right about 20 degrees than it will lift up and off. use a T-15 or T-2o (varies) to remove 4 screws than you will have 1 or 2 T10 or T15 screws holding plastic covers down. once screws are removed lift from screw hole area, sometimes the left side one is stuck by debris, use steady pressure and it will come off. under left side on is blade and screen. DO NOT REMOVE if you take blade and screen off it can be very difficult to put back on. You should be able to clean it without removing it

Old 12-20-06, 06:48 PM
S
corepairman - thank you

Thank you for your reply. I did as you suggested, but I saw no real improvement. I removed the 4 special screws, removed the plastic disk with mesh, and pulled up the large plastic piece with half circles all around the perimeter (may be called the accumulator assembly). In the sump there were a few larger food chuncks, nothing major, but I removed those and used a brush to clean the plastic disk with mesh. There was a plastic filter of some sort, elongated holes (may be called the Foreign Protector), but I did not remove it. Nothing else looked like a filter and nothing looked obstructed.

Once everything was put back together, I tried both a High Temp option and a Sani Rinse option, to ensure the water was sufficiently hot. In all cases, I still get a residue of very fine food particles (like a grain of sand or coffee grounds) sticking to the glassware and some bowls. The residue builds up in the upper left side of the tub toward the back, and behind the water feed tube as it runs up the back and across the top of the tub. As I mentioned before, the residue also accumulates on the upper 1/3 of the door.

Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks again.

SongFan

Old 12-21-06, 11:58 AM
E
Having the same problem with my Kitchenaid

hi songfan,
I am having the same problem with my KitchenAid (KUDS01IJ). I have been getting some very good input. You can follow my thread here:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=287315

I am about to replace the chopper assembly just to see if it makes an improvement. It is a $15 part, so what the heck. I ordered the part today and will be lucky if I get it before Christmas. After it is intalled I will post to let people know if it did anything. So, check back with my thread.

Old 12-22-06, 04:50 AM
S
Elbee,

Thank you for the link to your thread. Yes, please let me know how things go with the new chopper.

I'm very interested in if you eliminated the airgap as Corepairman suggested - connected directly to the dishwasher? Any results?

SongFan

Old 12-28-06, 06:34 PM
E
I got the new chopper today and installed it. I don't think it is going to make much difference. It looks no different than the chopper I removed. Oh well, for $15 it was worth a try. I just ran a load and I am sure everything will come out fine. If the next 5 loads come out good, then maybe it was the chopper after all. I will keep you posted. I haven't tackled the air gap issue yet.

Old 12-28-06, 08:48 PM
E
Chopper didn't make a difference. The dishes came out with the same amount of sediment as before.

Old 12-30-06, 01:15 PM
S
Frustrating. Did you ever connect your dishwasher drain hose directly to, and only to, the input nipple on you garbage disposal?

Is there a valve that keeps the water from coming back into the dishwasher once it enters the white plastic flexible dishwasher drain hose?

Check out this discussion:
http://forum.kitchenaid.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9554

The individual is having the exact same problem.

SongFan

Last edited by SongFan; 12-30-06 at 01:33 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 01-11-07, 04:35 PM
E
I haven't changed the configuration of the drain hose because after doing more research I was told that this is the correct set up.

I am not aware of any valve that prevents the dirty water from coming back into the dishwasher, but if there is one I will change it.

That link you sent is completely frustrating. Its nice to see that Kitchaid's only solution is to call a repairman (being sarcastic). Keep me updated with your progress.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: