How do I change dryer belt?

Old 12-18-06, 05:46 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I change dryer belt?

We have a 1998 Maytag dryer witha severely worn but not broken belt. Thru process of elimination we have removed front of machine and removed top also. Do we install belt from the front? There are some brackets etc in the way..do they need to be disconnected??

Old 12-18-06, 03:47 PM
C
there are a couple of designs, but they all install from the front

Old 03-17-07, 11:50 AM
M
Frigidaire dryer drive belt replacement

I found two numbers on my Frigidaire dryer. One is 131715000, the other is 9709. I'm not sure which is the Model number or the serial number. I've got a replacement belt and I know how to put it on, I just don't know how to open up the dryer to get access to the drum/motor. I tried taking screws off the back panel but it wouldn't budge, and I can't seem to figure out how to access it from the front.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 03-17-07, 12:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have to open the front and top and look ithere and say, "Hmmmm...what do I have to take off to get that in there?" Also, you often have to access a panel at the rear to gain hold of the belt where it wraps around the motor shaft pulley and idler pulley.

Sounds like I'm joking but I had to install my very first one at some point and that is what I did. Invariably it requires the ability to unscrew whatever and lift the dryer drum up some in the front. Some you have to remove about 4 screws to some blower housing panel to be able to do this. They also all require that you know how to undo the belt from around the dryer motor pulley and the idler pulley. You have to really stare at this so that you can remember how it has to go back (for a novice, anyway). You have to have the ribbing of the belt on(against)the motor shaft pulley, and the flat part of the belt will be on (against) the plastic idler pulley. Turn the drum by hand a few revolutions by hand once installed, before plugging it back in, to inspect the way it is tracking around the dryer drum and your motor and idler pulleys.

Old 03-17-07, 12:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
IF you absolutely see no screws on the front ANYWHERE, then you might have the kind that requires using a putty knife in the gap betwen the top of the front and the top..that horizontal seam. You have to push in with the putty knife, maybe an inch or two in from each end where there is a spring loaded clip on eachside at the front, and push in firmly with the putty knife while you try to raise the top.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: