GE Oven Overheating

Reply

  #1  
Old 12-19-06, 02:12 PM
W
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Oven Overheating

I have a GE Oven (model JTP15) that intermittently overheats. The problem seems to be the broil element will suddenly turn on while in the Bake cycle and stay on causing the oven to overheat (F2 code). I know the broil element should turn on approximately 25% of the time during a normal bake cycle. However, occasionally the broil element will simply stay on (and burn anything currently baking) until the oven overheats.

I have ohmed out the oven sensor and it is within the normal parameter of 1000 and 1100 ohms at room temperature. I confirmed the resistance from the connector pins on the control board, so the wiring to the actual sensor looks to be OK.

Maybe the broil relay gets stuck closed? I am not sure how to check or confirm that. Any ideas on what to check next?

Thanks for any help.
 
  #2  
Old 12-19-06, 05:34 PM
C
Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 29
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the only way to confirm it is to disconnect the broil element and insulate the wires, then do some cooking. it will not heat up as quickly or as evenly, but should let you know for sure if it is the broil relay. on that model you can only replace the whole board so if disconnecting the broil allows it to work then you need a new board, if not I have had some units where the oven sensor had bad wire connections at the wiring harness and would only sometimes act up. When I see that I normally just cust out the harness plug and wire nut the oven probe in. (bad connection at the oven probe not at the control board). Be sure to use it long enough that there is no question before replacing board.
 
  #3  
Old 01-01-07, 03:13 PM
W
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas.

Any suggestions on how to insulate the broil element wires when the element is removed? Removing the broil element leaves a hole with insulation material visible. Do I need to cover that hole? What would be a good way to insulate those wires?

I checked the oven sensor again as well. However, the only wire harness I see is the one that plugs into the control board. On the sensor side, the wires look to be hard wired directly into the sensor.

Thanks again for any help.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: