GE Fridge - Water Dispenser Not Working Periodically

Old 12-22-06, 12:57 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Fridge - Water Dispenser Not Working Periodically

Hello!

I have a GE Fridge - model gss22jfmcww . Some time we do not get water from the dispenser - but the ice maker always works. Interestingly enough, if we open up the freezer door, put a heater to the door for a few minutes, the water starts to work. This can happen 3 or 4 times a day! Obviously, this isn't very energy efficient!

We have taken the water filter out to rule against that problem.

Any ideas why this may be happening? Is the line freezing up? Other issues? Solenoid? Someone else had a similar issue last year, but it was never resolved - see post: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=214862&highlight=water

Thanks!

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-06, 06:24 PM
C
first Dispense water from the dispenser into a large measuring cup for 20 seconds. If the water is less than than 13.5 ounces (400 cubic centimeters), the water flow is inadequate. This means that you may have a partially plugged valve or restricted saddle valve. Try to tighten all teh way and then loosen to see if this helps, if not replace the saddle valve. Use a self tapping valve that can also be drilled out. Use the self tapping to mark you hole and the drill it out to ensure good water flow.
If you do get the correct amount, then next time it freezes check behind your vegetable drawer for the water resovoir. If it is freezing here call GE and complain they had issues a few years ago. If it is not freezing here than remove the kickpanel and by the freezer hinge is a water line coupler, disconnect here and see if you can get water out. If you can it is freezing in the door, call GE they also had a problem with this. You will need your model & serial #. The parts to fix it can be expensive if you have to buy them on your own.

Old 12-24-06, 01:27 AM
S
Thank you for the great information. When the watert is dispensing, it is dispensing a lot of liquid - I haven't measured it, but I'm pretty sure it is more than 13.5 ounces.

If it is freezing in the door, what parts are going bad? Having this information will help me when I complain to GE..

Also, what issues are you referring to? Any type of info that I can use to be more knowledgeable when I call?

Thanks again!

Steve

Last edited by twelvepole; 12-24-06 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Quote deleted. Not necessary to quote an entire post to support a response.
Old 12-24-06, 05:48 PM
C
If it is freezing in the door then the insulation is not correct inside the door and the door has to be replaced

If it is freezing behind the cripser drawer they have a couple of differant repair kits depending on the manufacture date.

One other thing to check is sometimes if the freezer is too cold you can also have the resovoir freeze. If the freezer temperture is below 0 try increasing the tempertur slightly.