Maytag Performa washer making clicking sound

Old 12-28-06, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag Performa washer making clicking sound

1998 Maytag Performa PAV2000 top loading washing machine

All machine functions seem normal, but there is a clicking noise during any agitate or spin cycle. Since the noise is there during both agitate AND spin, I assume it is not pump related. The volume of this noise fluctuates randomly, sometimes loud and sometimes not so much. The frequency of the clicking does slow proportionately if a slower agitate/spin cycle speed is selected (gentle cycle). The noise doesn't appear to degrade performance in any way that I can tell, but I am concerned that if we continue to use it in this state it may cause damage of some sort to the washer, making things worse.

Old 01-05-07, 05:25 PM
update

I've removed the front cover of the machine raised the front up to access underneath as well. The belt is in great condition it would seem. I can manually pull the belt and pulleys without any issue, but it doesn't make any odd sounds by hand.

Running with the front cover removed, it would "seem" the sound is coming more from the drive shaft area than the pump or motor areas. I can't seem to safely isolate it any better than that.

-If- it turns out to need something expensive like a transmission or something, then I may need to consider buying a new washer.

Old 01-11-07, 08:22 PM
I've discovered that Maytag might cover a transmission under warranty, although just the part and not the labor. I can get a comparable model Maytag washer from homedepot for $360 (plus tax/delivery/etc). I guess I'll call some places and find out what a service call might cost and weigh my options from there. If repairs seem too expensive, maybe I will just keep using this washer until it breaks down, then buy the new one. (It is currently fully functional, but I'm sure the noise we hear indicates a problem that will surely get worse if we keep using it).

Old 05-30-07, 12:57 PM
U
Maytag Performa washer making clicking sound (SOLVED)

"teraya" indicated in his initial post the following quote:

"All machine functions seem normal, but there is a clicking noise during any agitate or spin cycle. Since the noise is there during both agitate AND spin, I assume it is not pump related."

The above assumption is NOT CORRECT. The pump does, in fact, work during both the spin AND agitate cycles - it is probably the most used/abused moving part in a washing machine.

I recently began experiencing exactly the same symptoms as indicated above. In hopes that it may simply be the water pump (much easier to deal with than transmission), I removed the pump from the bottom/rear of machine, took it apart (completely) and cleaned all parts, then re-installed. While taking it apart, it appeared that the thin metal spline that attaches the propeller was a little out of position. Don't know if it was, indeed, the spline, or something else, but the noise is now gone. It sounds brand new again!!

Old 05-30-07, 09:33 PM
I'm glad to hear it was just a pump for your issue, that's good. For mine, the sound did not appear to originate from the pump area (which I've had to clean out in the past as well). My washer eventually produced a foul burning smell. We retired it and replaced it with a new front load machine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: