Whirlpool Electric dryer only works on cool down cycle?

Old 12-30-06, 10:00 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Electric dryer only works on cool down cycle?

Hi all,

I just found this forum and it seems to have a wealth of information! I'm reading through the posts, but I haven't found one that is the same problem I'm seeing yet...

I have a Whirlpool Ultimate Care electric dryer (LEC 7858AQ0) that only works when the cool down cycle is selected. When I hold down the start button and rotate the cycle selector all the way around through Timed Drying / Fluff air / sensor drying (very dry, less dry, etc), the only places where it kicks on and starts rotating is when it hits one of the two "cool down" cycles.

To me it seems like it won't start rotating when it's on a cycle that requires it to generate heat.

I've read about other models that have a reset button for an overheat situation - it seems like that may be a potential thing to try, but I haven't found a reset switch on this one.

Any ideas of what I should try first?

Thanks!

Old 12-30-06, 10:39 AM
A
Just an update... I opened it up and checked the thermal fuse by removing the connectors and putting it on a multimeter. Shows a good circuit, so I think that rules it out.

Old 12-30-06, 11:19 AM
A
Ok... I think I did something not so good.

I was checking out the thermostat (http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?item=3387134&brand=WPL&cart_number=7433568_63991)

...it has two red wires on opposite terminals and two purple wires on opposite terminals. It was showing continuity between the two reds, but not between the two purples.

Figured - a ha - thats it. I wanted to try it out before running over to the parts store, so I connected the two purple wires together - bypassing the thermostat.

When I dialed it onto a cycle that didn't work before - same deal - nothing happened. When I hit the cool down cycle that DID work before I heard an unpleasant electical sound and it didn't start running. Now that I've restored the wires to where they were before the cool down cycle no longer works either. I did check the breaker, but it wasn't tripped....

Last edited by ajf3; 12-30-06 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-30-06, 01:11 PM
A
..another update.

I took apart the venting mech and cleaned all of the gunk out of it... found two earrings, but it didn't seem clogged up enough to cause a problem. After cleaning no change - still doesn't run.

I also replaced the L155-25F thermostat, but that also had no effect... still doesn't run.

Any ideas?

Old 12-30-06, 02:12 PM
A
Ok... I've now found that the door switch has scortch marks on it...

Both COM to NC (normally closed) and COM to NO (normally open) read non-continous. The button doesn't catch - seems to be something broken inside of it.

I'm not sure if it was the original problem, or if I caused it to happen when I bypassed the thermostat by connecting the purple wires directly.

I can't get a replacement for a few days now... is there a way to jumper the COM - NC/NO to see if this allows it to work? I was thinking about connecting the COM-NC directly, but I'm a little gunshy at this point due to the last problem....

Would this dryer spin on the cool down cycle when the door is open? If not, then I probably still have another problem.

Old 12-30-06, 02:57 PM
A
Ok... I jumpered the NC line to COM and it allows the dryer to start and run properly.

However, when connected, even when the timer is dialed to off the timer is making a ticking sound. I'm going to get a replacement switch asap, but I don't understand what the ticking sound is being caused by.

Any ideas on that one?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: