My whirlpool dryer timer never stops!

Old 01-03-07, 11:24 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My whirlpool dryer timer never stops!

Hi all -

I have a Whirlpool Ultimate Care electric dryer (LEC 7858AQ0) - the other days I had to replace the door switch which was fried by something (scorch marks on it).

Anyway, now it seems to work again properly - ie, it won't start until the door is closed, it stops when you open the door, and all of the heat/cycles seem to function properly.

However, there seems to be something goofy with the timer. When the door is closed the timer is ticking all of the time. Doesn't matter if it's dialed to 50 minutes, heavy dry, fluff, OFF, etc - it still ticks unless I keep the door open.

When a load is dried and it reaches off, the timer continues ticking around the dial past timed dry, past fluff, past the various offs... it just keeps going (the dryer doesn't actually come on though).

Any idea what could be causing that behavior?

More importantly, is it dangerous to have it doing this, or will the timer just wear out prematurely due to it running all the time?

Thanks!

Old 01-03-07, 07:44 PM
G
I have never heard of a timer doing this before, but it would be my first guess as to what is wrong. There isn't anything else in the dryer that would cause the timer to do that.

Old 01-05-07, 03:58 PM
T
Talking Happy1

Strangely enouph my Wirpool dryer sold as Kenmore Model C1108549290 (1995) had the same problem as yours on the same day. The local service guy replaced the "Start" switch and yahoo the timer stopped ticking and everything is now working fine. Give it a try, it is not a very expensive part.
It all makes sense when you consider the switch allowed power to the timer at all times except when the door was open and the door switch is "open"

Old 01-06-07, 09:41 PM
A
Thanks! I'll give it a try

Old 03-22-07, 02:34 PM
A
Wasn't the start switch

...well I finally got around to replacing the start switch (3395395) and it's still doing the same thing.

When the cycle ends it buzzes and stops, but the timer keeps on ticking through the "off" area. When it hits the next cycle it turns back on and runs through that.

Any other ideas? Any tips on how to troubleshoot the bad part?

Thanks!

Old 03-22-07, 05:18 PM
G
Timer

My bet is still on the timer...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: