GE Dishwasher Does not Drain prior to drying cycle

Old 01-20-07, 02:26 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Dishwasher Does not Drain prior to drying cycle

I have a GE Dishwasher, Model GSD5620D01BB, and the dishwasher will not drain. If I put the dishwasher into the service mode, I can get the dishwasher to pump the water out so I know the pump is working correctly and there is no blockage. I have replaced the Piston Assembly and the Drain Solenid, but neither has not solved the problem. One other observation, when the dishwasher is running any of the cleahin selections, the only time there is water left remaining in the dishwasher is during the cycle just prior to the final drying cycle.

Old 04-28-07, 11:11 AM
B
Similar problem

Have you deterimined the problem? I've got a GE, although I'm not certain of the model right now and it has a similar problem. I

know that it drains because at some points in the cycle I can see a good amount of water flowing into the garbage disposal.

However, it doesn't drain completely. I'd like to know what has come of your issue.

Old 04-28-07, 01:18 PM
B
update

My GE DW is a 116D 6840.

I've cleaned the screen at the bottom of the washer by removing the plastic screen mesh and cleaned it out. But there wasn't much in there.

The problem is that the washing machine doesn't completely drain. The float works, I surmise, because the DW never overflows.

I know that it drains some because there are times where the DW is clearly draining water into my garbage disposal.

I currently have the DW out of the kitchen and have taken a few pics of the bottom so that I might get some help with parts and their location. Correct me if I'm wrong with my labels!

Edit: Why aren't the VB codes working? I see that vB code is turned off; is that something I can turn on?

Old 04-28-07, 05:21 PM
B
Solenoid not the problem?

So, I test the solenoid with my voltmeter, and I'm getting reading of about 34 ohms.

If it isn't the solenoid, what could it be? Am I wrong in my assumption that it's *not* the solenoid?

Old 05-01-07, 12:56 PM
B
bump regarding DW not draining

bump to reiterate my question:

the drain solenoid was tested at 34 ohms. Does that mean it should work? If it is working, why is my DW not draining completely? It drains some times, just not at the point where drying takes place.

Old 05-06-07, 01:00 PM
B
DW not draining

bump to reiterate my question

Old 05-16-07, 07:53 AM
B
dishwasher not draining completely

bump bump bump

the drain solenoid was tested at 34 ohms. Does that mean it should work? If it is working, why is my DW not draining completely? It drains some times, just not at the point where drying takes place.

Old 05-28-07, 06:12 PM
A
This is the EXACT problem im having with my GE Potscrubbing dishwasher,,,it doesnt drain completley during the last cycle before the dry mode. Did anyone come up with any solutions to this?

Old 05-30-07, 09:35 AM
B
bueler? bueler?

I don't think anyone knows.

It's frustrating b/c I think what it means that there is something more problematic than could be solved by replacing one component like the solenoid.

Speaking of which, have you tested yours?

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that my issue is that the solenoid works, but it's not being given the command to open at the right time.

I wonder how that could be fixed?

Old 05-31-07, 03:53 PM
A
Im not sure how to test the solenoid? i removed the bottom panal of the dishwasher,,to see under and how it worked,,, i know where the drain hose is,,soo i put the dishwasher in cycle, and i seen how this little thing moved up and down (which seemed to work with the drain hose) im assuming the thing that moved up and down is the solenoid? the drain hose had water flowing thru it, i felt different sections of the hose, when the water was flowing,, and the thing(solenoid?) which moved up and down did move, which seemed like when it was down (or up) it was draining the water and then when it was up(or down) it stopped the water,,,,(sorry i cant remember the position up or down but it was working,,,it just didnt drain enough water)Any help is appreciated. Thank You~

Old 05-31-07, 09:21 PM
B
solenoid

It sounds like the solenoid. basically, when energized, the solenoid will push that little peg out, thus opening the tube to drain.

The way to test it, I hear, is to unplug it from your dishwasher and hook up a voltmeter to it and test it's resistance (ohms). On some other website, 40 ohms was claimed to be functioning. If you get a very low reading or zero, then it's hosed.

Mine tested at 34 ohms, so I'm assuming that to be okay, as I think yours is too.

what now? anyone? bueler?

Old 11-21-08, 10:50 PM
B
I'm an idiot

Update to this story was that there was an obstacle in the drain line.

In the picture of the underside of the machine, it is was in the bottom little box.

Drains like a charm.

Old 01-04-09, 10:04 PM
M
re: GE Dishwasher does not drain

I had a GE Monogram dishwasher that wouldn't drain and it turned out to be the drain pump/solenoid (I think they call it drain pump w/weight?) I found it online for about $65 instead of $80 that GE will quote. The hardest part was dealing with all the water that had to drain out the bottom once I disconnected the drain hose going into the drain pump. Once all the water was out it took about 1/2 hr or less to disconnect the old one and replace it with the new one. Works like a champ now.

Old 01-22-09, 12:51 AM
M
Originally Posted by briholt View Post
Update to this story was that there was an obstacle in the drain line.

In the picture of the underside of the machine, it is was in the bottom little box.

Drains like a charm.
Is it the box in the center bottom of the picture with only part of it showing? I take it the only way to get to it is to take out the dishwasher. Haven't really work on a dishwasher before. What the quickest way to get to it removing the minimal number of parts/connections?

Thanks!

Old 01-22-09, 11:37 AM
M
Dishwasher won't drain

I am having the same issue with my GE Dishwasher, the water sits in the bottom I tried to run the cycle again,

Old 01-22-09, 07:39 PM
D
Hi Mike:

Take the drain hose off under the sink, put it in a bucket, fill the machine with water and run a drain cycle. Water drains out? look for an obstuction beyond the dw. Water deosen't drain? run the drain cycle again and see if the drain solenoid opens. yes? take the solenoid, the connecting hose and the little box apart look for an obstruction. No obstructoins? cycle the drain solenoid while looking inside to see if the flapper is jammed. yes? replace the drain solenoid assembly. If the solenoid does not open when you run the drain cycle, check for voltage at the solenod terminals. have voltage? replace the solenod assembly. no voltage? you'll need the tech sheet to trace the wiring back to see where you lose the voltage. Most common problems are obstructions and malfunctioning drain solenoid. let us know how you make out. Thanks.

Old 02-22-09, 01:04 AM
B
Yes, that's where it was. You might be able to get to to it without taking out the dishwasher, but I think it would be easier to just pop it out.

There will be some screws that screw up into the bottom of your counter, and you'll have to make sure you don't put much strain on the hoses and such, but just take your time and you'll see where the connections are.

Just be sure to first turn off the water to the dishwasher and kill the power

Originally Posted by m8cca View Post
Is it the box in the center bottom of the picture with only part of it showing? I take it the only way to get to it is to take out the dishwasher. Haven't really work on a dishwasher before. What the quickest way to get to it removing the minimal number of parts/connections?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: