Garage Refrigerator

Old 01-22-07, 08:35 AM
J
jn
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Refrigerator

I was going to pick up a new fridge and put it in the garage.
When I told the salesman this, he said this is not recommended to be done with new refridgerators with the newer types of freon. He said installing it in the garage would likely void the warrenty. He said that since temps are at or below freezing for a few months a year in our area that the newer type systems would not work right, and may actually get damaged.
He said that if I insisted on installing it in the garage that I at least wrap all the coils etc I could with heat tape.
Has anyone else ever heard this?
I know I usually see older refridgerators in garages, but not for this reason. I thought was because they were free!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-07, 02:59 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
First of all, the heat tape idea sounds ALL wrong!

I would contact the manufacturer for their advice, as salesman are notoriously incorrect of many things.

I have heard that refrigerators (and freezers) should not be used in very cold environments. I'd let the manufacturer define exactly what the minimum operating temperature should be.

Old 01-22-07, 03:16 PM
Wink

Its done all the time you need to get a crankcase heater and put it on the compressor is all. Ask at any refrigeration
shop for one. They just keep the compressor warm like so that the freon dont go back to a liquid down there in the compressor. Also if you check the freon that is in all the fridges to day its R134. The same that is in all the cars today. Like on the AC today turn the heater on 24 hrs before you go to turn the fridge on if its cold out. Let it on as long as its cold out

Old 01-22-07, 03:28 PM
T
Putting a refrigerator in a garage is not a good idea. Many move older inefficient refrigerators to the garage. Older models use more electricity. Running a refrigerator in a garage can add more than $200 to your annual electricity costs. Not only do you have to worry about cold weather, in summer garage temperatures can reach as high as 120 degrees, causing refrigerators to run continuously.

Old 01-22-07, 04:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken I've recently seen advertised a refridgerator specific for garage and shop use. It is supposed to be designed to handle the temp swings, now if I could only remember who's ad...........

Old 01-22-07, 04:46 PM
Wink

Like I said you can put a crankcase heater on any of them.

Old 01-23-07, 08:25 AM
J
jn
Crankcase heater. Why didn't I think of that. Totally makes sense.
The extra cost of having the fridge is nothing compared to the alimony I would have to pay after I kept walking into the house with those muddy boots and greasy hands every time I desired my favorite beverage!!!

Old 01-23-07, 10:13 AM
This is what you want. It's made by Whirlpool.

http://www.gladiatorgw.com/detail.asp?BaseModelID=GARF19XXPK

Just copy and paste the link.

We got ours at HH Greg.

Old 01-23-07, 12:30 PM
Wink

If you can buy at Grainger they have them '
self-regulating crankcase heaters cost about $43.30

Old 01-30-07, 02:31 PM
F
Question This really works?

I just want to confirm this before I go ahead: I have a new refrigerator/freezer that I bought to use in my garage. Like everyone else, it has shut off now that the weather is cold. If I purchase a crankcase regulator and wrap it around the compressor, will it really cause the refrig and freezer to BOTH operate normally? Or just the freezer (because the garage temp is lower than the refrig)? Or neither will operate normally, but it will warm the freon so the the compressor won't be ruined?
Before I go out and by a crankcase regulator, I was hoping you could help me understand this a little better. Thanks.

Old 01-30-07, 08:23 PM
Wink

If the fridge is out in the garage and its cold there . For sure put a heater on the compressor.

will it really cause the refrig and freezer to BOTH operate normally?
YES.

Ok why do you need a heater on a compressor out in the cold. As the compressor get very cold. The freon in the system will turn back into a liquid again and tend to run back into the cold compressor. Now a compressor cant pump or run with liquid in it . It can only pump a gas and compress it. You cant compress a liqid.
So the heater is there just so there is no liquid in the compressor and it can run anytime .

Old 01-31-07, 07:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Thanks Ed for the explanation - makes the whole deal understandable

about what temp does the gas become liquid?

Old 01-31-07, 11:25 AM
Wink

AH MAN Id have to go back to the books for that one

Old 10-27-08, 08:45 PM
L
Called a fridge repair place and told them of the crankcase heater,he told me i didnt want to use that,as i have to tear the compressor apart to install it. Is this so?? If it is im back to asking what the first one did,can i just wrap electric heat tape around the compressor and coils?? Because as a woman im pretty handy,but to tear a compressor apart i might as well not have the fridge to use in the winter,cause after im done it wont work in the summer either