GE Profile oven horror story cont

Old 01-22-07, 05:35 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Profile oven horror story cont

Hi

About 12 months ago, I wrote to you with the problem of a wildly fluctuating oven temperature. I did manage to replace the sensor as you suggested (thank you!), but unfortunately, it was the control panel that was bad. I then paid to have a new control panel installed, which seemed to help the temperature problem, but... I ran the self-cleaning feature for the first time a couple of weeks ago (second home, don't even use the oven that often). The oven cooled and turned off (fan and all) BUT THE DOOR STAYED LOCKED. I've tried turning off the circuit breaker, and everything else the GE folks could suggest, to no avail. Interestingly, the keypad beeps or responds to all of the buttons except the self-clean button and the one located directly above it.

Do you think another control panel has been fried? How hard is it to repair an oven when the door is locked? Is there any easy way that I can get it to open?

I am so done with GE and this oven. Anyone have any suggestions as to a low maintenance relatively inexpensive oven? I think I'll be shopping for one.

Thanks!

Old 01-25-07, 06:54 PM
A
Bringing good things to life...

gotta love GE. A model# would be good but since the door is locked and you couldn't get it directly off the unit we'll press onward. Then I would ask if this oven has a manual lock latch mechanism for the door if it's automatic. Generally if it's newer it's automatic and if so, and it's locked you got some problems obviously. I'm a little concerned that your self clean function doesn't work on the control panel, that's a little odd. I'd say you need to figure out if the latch mechansim is getting power or not and go from there. You can try to use a wire coat hanger and try to move the latch to the right or left while pulling on the door GENTLY and see if it opens. If it's the manual latch mechanism, the lever bar is probably bent. Take the lever and if it's locked to right pushed it in as far as you can to the right inward towards the oven frame and then try to unlock it. If it latches to the left do the same thing push it inward all the way till the handle hits the frame and then try to unlatch it. There are still other possibilities but this is a starting point at least. Good luck....

Old 01-31-07, 04:29 PM
GE Profile wall oven door locked

I have a similar problem - with a 4 year old GE profile electric convection wall oven Model JCTP18WD1WW. I self cleaned it for the first time last weekend and it made it through 1.5 hours of cleaning and then died. There is no power to the controls and the door is locked. We tried flipping the breaker off (overnight) and then turned it on again but still no power. The power supply for the oven is in behind the oven and we can't get the oven out without opening the door. I had an appliance repair man in and he couldn't do it. Luckily he didn't charge me anything. I have used this oven extensively for 4 years and have really enjoyed it. I have never had a single problem with it until now. Any suggestions?

Old 01-31-07, 05:32 PM
J
No help here

I have GE Profile gas range, and I love it.

Old 02-01-07, 10:40 AM
Love is such a strong word...

The lock on this oven moves over and pulls in when it actuates so the door is very tightly closed. Looking at the oven parts break down, the only solution I see is to cut the 4 screws between the side of the oven and the cabinet, pull the whole thing out and get into the control panel from the top. Looks like there are 7 screws that hold the top of the control panel on.

Once you get it out, there is a screen on the back of the control panel. Check and see how dirty it is. I think this screen is the root of most people's problems with this oven. It gets clogged after a few years of use and the control panel fan is no longer able to move air and keep the controls cool. The fan will run and seem normal, but no air moves through the control panel and it gets extremely hot which can cause, in the early stages, error codes and, in the late stages, damage to the wiring and controls.

Good luck and please let us know how you do.

Doug M.

Old 02-04-07, 01:03 PM
Oven door still locked closed

No luck cutting the four screws between the side of the oven and the cabinet as they are not visible and we would have to damage the cabinetry in order to do this. I would rather damage the oven door than the cabinets! I took the bottom trim off and there are some screws there but I think they are only for the door. We are going to try prying the door open and slipping something in to release the mechanism.

Old 02-05-07, 08:29 AM
The 4 screws are along the edge of the door. They may not be visible, but you should be able to get a hack saw blade just below the control panel between the side of the oven and the cabinet cut-out without damaging anything. Then pull down until you hit the first screw and cut it. Repeat for the second screw and then the other side. I don't see that there are any screws under the bottom access panel that hold anything other than the access panel cover on. You may be able to force the lock, but it's going to be tough and there's a big risk that you'll break the glass when you pry the door.

Again, good luck.

Doug M.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: