Frigidaire dishwasher won't stop filling

Old 02-04-07, 10:41 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire dishwasher won't stop filling

Hi, I have a Frigidaire 24" dishwasher, model FDB510LCB0. It has recently started filling, and won't stop. I have made sure that the overflow valve is free, and actuating it won't stop the flow. The hot water flows in in all settings on the controller...even OFF. The dishwasher will cycle through different settings, will pump itself out and drain. However, it just keeps filling.

Is this related to a solenoid on the fill side? If so, is it fairly straightforward to replace? I'm not afraid of taking it apart.

If it is something else, what could it be?

From the parts manual, it looks like the overflow valve actuates a float switch. Can the float switch be bad? How about the water valve itself?

This was a pretty cheapo DW. So, I'm not to hep on bringing in a tech. It would be more than a new unit probably.

THanks.

ROger

Last edited by rscow; 02-04-07 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-04-07, 11:18 AM
G
You should check for voltage at the inlet valve. If you are not getting voltage at the valve and it is still letting water in, than the valve is bad. they are not difficult to replace.

Does the dishwasher start draining when the float switch is activated?

Old 02-16-07, 07:43 PM
R
Problem solved

Thanks to gdoug, I checked out the water fill valve voltage. It was bad. It took a little while to get the part in, but I picked it up today. It was a cinch to replace, and while I was at it, I replaced the solid copper hot water tubing with a flex line.

Now the d/w works fine. While I hate crawling around in the much under sink or d/w, I do appreciate the help of forum members. Saved me a bundle.

Roger

Old 07-17-07, 07:51 PM
S
I ahve exactly the same problem - water won't stop. Could you please share with me where did you get the part from? And how did you measure the volatge - did you turn the machine on the side to measure the voltage?

Thanks a lot,
Simon

Old 07-17-07, 08:32 PM
G
You should be able to access the fill valve by taking the toe plate off. One thing you can try is disconnecting power to the dishwasher. If water is still flowing into the machine than the valve is bad.

You should be able to pick up a replacement valve at any appliance place that sells parts.

Old 07-18-07, 01:38 PM
S
I have slightly different model then in the original post. The one I have is FDBC45BAS0. I can certainly see the fill valve but I can hardly reach it having removed the bottom panel.

Do I understand you correctly that you are suggesting to start the cycle and then disconnect power from the dishwasher and then if water is still running then the valve is bad? I'll try that and let you know.

Old 07-18-07, 07:39 PM
G
You should be able to open the door and have the water shut off during filling. If it seems ok there, you should put a volt meter and read the voltage at the valve to see how long the control is sending power to it.

Old 07-18-07, 11:11 PM
S
Water DOES NOT shut off when I open the door. Does it mean itís definitely a bad valve?

Thank you very much for helping me.

Old 07-19-07, 06:50 PM
G
It sounds like a bad valve. I would, however, verify there is "0" volts at the valve when the water is flowing. A volt meter is needed to check this.

Old 07-30-07, 11:43 AM
S
The recommendations were excelent. Thank you very much gdoug - it was a bad valve.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: