Drat, I broke the oven! (Whirlpool Wall Oven)

Old 02-08-07, 01:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Drat, I broke the oven! (Whirlpool Wall Oven)

I tried that "safe for self-cleaning ovens" Easy Off yesterday for the first time, and I managed to screw the oven up while wiping out the cleaner. I think it happened when I lifted the bottom element slightly to wipe under it - the cleaning foam around the back plate where the element/heating coil is attached sizzled a bit, and I soon noticed that the coil was getting hot. The oven was definitely not on according to the digital controls. After carefully wiping out the remaining cleanser (except small areas that I couldn't get to w/o being burned) I tried turning the oven on and then off, and then tried setting a low-heat timed cooking cycle for 5 minutes to try and get it to turn itself off, both with no success. When it was still just as hot a few hours later I finally flipped the breaker to shut it down.

I'm pretty handy, but I have no experience with fixing appliances. Is there anything I can try myself to fix whatever I screwed up, or should I just wait until I can call a repairman?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Old 02-08-07, 05:40 PM
G
Sounds like your bake element shorted out. Replacing it isn't that difficult. It should have enough wiring to pull through to the inside of the oven.

Hope this helps.......

Old 02-08-07, 09:56 PM
Thanks, gdoug. So I'd just undo the screws on the back plate, pull the element out & disconnect the wires to remove it, and replace it with a new one (assuming I can find a replacement)? Or would it be the wiring that connects the element that needs to be replaced?

Old 02-09-07, 04:54 AM
G
It's easy, just remove the screws that hold the element in place and the wires that are connected to the element are spade terminals that just pull off. Reverse the process for the new element. Just be sure power is disconnected to the oven. Any local appliance store that sells parts should either have the element in stock or be able to order it for you. If you take the element in they should be able to verify that it is shorted out.

Old 02-09-07, 12:40 PM
Thanks again, gdoug, I appreciate the help. Sounds easy enough, and no need to pay for a repairman (I hope). From now on I'll stick to using the self-cleaning cycle so I don't break the stupid thing again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: