Whirlpool icemaker and water dispenser problem

Old 02-15-07, 09:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool icemaker and water dispenser problem

I have a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator with an ice and water dispenser in the door. Model No. ED5VHGXMB00. The icemaker quit working one day last week. I donít know if this is related but I wanted to mention that we had an area power outage last week due to storms I guess. My wife tells me that the lights got dim and kind of pulsated or surged for a few minutes to the point that the clothes dryer wouldnít run anymore. By the time I got home the power was completely off. We really didnít notice an immediate problem with anything after the power was restored and didnít notice the icemaker wasnít functioning for several days. Maybe this caused my problem, maybe not. Who Knows? Ok, enough of that.

I did a search for info on troubleshooting the machine and this is what I have found so far.

I jumped the thermostat through the ports on the module and got it to cycle one time. It seemed very slow to me but I have never really watched it cycle so this may have been normal. The cycle stopped before the ice dumped. I jumped it again and it dumped and refilled with water although it didnít seem like very much water. It also seemed that the flow from the water dispenser was a little slow (I suspected the water inlet valve).

I also noticed that one of the tangs in the middle of the large gear on the module was pushed out a little more than the other. I pushed it lightly and it went back in. I know this is not good butÖafter an hour or so my wife heard it dump a load of ice and refill. Iím thinking maybe something was just stuck or maybe frozen up where it wasnít supposed to be. Well, that was the last time it cycled. (Iím thinking module replacement now!)

Guess what? I get in from work yesterday and my wife informs me that the water dispenser has quit working altogether. Do I get a replacement icemaker and water valve?
Is there any way the icemaker module could keep the water dispenser from working? Or could the power surges or whatever happened have hurt something else that is causing both problems. The fridge is cooling and freezing just fine.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

MikeyE

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-07, 01:47 PM
Try unplugging it again and maybe it'll reset. I have a GE side by side and the water stopped working.....ice still worked fine. Never fixed it cuz we drink bottled or tap. Then came home one day and power was off, and had been off since morning. Power co. came out and fixed fuse on transformer &
....viola--water dispenser working again. Cheap fix!

Old 02-19-07, 06:53 AM
Sometime Saturday the water dispenser started working again, although not very strong. I removed the filter from the bottom front of the unit and nothing changed. I tried unplugging it for a few minutes hoping for a reset but so far there has been no change.