Washer Won't Agitate - Maytag Topload (LAT9420AAE)

Old 02-25-07, 03:55 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Washer Won't Agitate - Maytag Topload (LAT9420AAE)

My washer has stopped agitating.

A few months ago, it stopped agitating with heavy loads. The agitator would pop up an inch or two and stop moving. I could lighten the load, and push the agitator down, and evantually get it to work. Then last month it started popping up with lighter loads. I found that if I put a cup on top of the agitator and closed the lid and put a heavy phone book on top, it would hold the agitator down and keep working.

Now it has stopped agitating even when I push it down.

I can pull the agitator and shaft right out of the washer just by lifting on the agitator. Isn't it supposed to be fastened in somehow? The agitator is simply resting in the transmission by it's own weight. The shaft looks like it is in excellent condition.

I tipped the washer on it's back and checked the belts, all are in great shape. When I rotate the main belt one way, it spins the tub. When I rotate it the other way, it turns very easily, but barely causes the agitator to squirm a millimeter or two.

So I took the front off the transmission, and dumped out all of the greasy liquid. (Since the agitator shaft comes out easily, it wouldn't surprise me if there is water in the grease.) The grease is a very light tan color, and thick like molasses.

All the parts inside the transmission look next to brand new (the washer is, maybe, 3 years old-ish.)

I would really appreciate some input from someone who might have an idea what I could try next, or maybe explain what could possibly be going on inside my washer to cause it not to agitate?

Old 02-25-07, 04:24 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Figured Out my Own Problem

Well, it looks like I figured out my own problem. I pulled the shaft out of the transmission, and stuck my finger in the shaft receiver (the plastic part of the transmission that the agitator shaft fits in) and there are NO TEETH! It's not absolutely smooth, but it looks like it has been eaten away a little at a time, until there is nothing left to grip.

Why did they make that thing out of plastic? Job security?

So I'm going to clean it up really good, dump some epoxy in it, and glue the shaft right into the receiver. Then I'm going to drill a hole through the receivor and shaft, and bolt them together. That'll fix it good!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: