GE Electric Dryer Stays On

Old 03-12-07, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Electric Dryer Stays On

Hi Everyone,

I have a GE Electric Clothes dryer that is about 5 years old. Two weeks ago, the dryer decided to keep running during the automatic "wrinkle care" cycle. The dryer gets hot, the clothes get dry, but the dryer does not shut off.

I have replaced the timer, but the problem did not go away.

Is anyone familiar with this issue? Can anyone help me troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,
John

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-07, 05:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
By not stopping, do you mean it stays hot without the drum spinning, or that the drum keeps turning (hence motor keeps running)? If it's the motor that keeps going, I dont have the answer to this and will go crazy tonight in bed. But I have ran into dryers that otherwise are off, but that get so hot on top you can't touch them. That is caused by an element burned in half and touching the case.

Old 03-12-07, 07:12 PM
The drum keeps turning. It gets hot, but not too hot to touch. It's almost as if it does not know when the clothes are dry.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 03-13-07 at 12:47 PM. Reason: unnecessary quote removed
Old 03-12-07, 07:26 PM
Does it do it in all cycles or does it do it in the cycle that is automatic (not the timed cycle)? The auto cycle will not advance...hence keeps running...if a resistor up by the timer goes bad.

The timed cycle does not care if your clothes dry or not and will shut off based on time, only.

Old 03-12-07, 09:08 PM
The problem only appears in the automatic cycle. The timed cycle works fine. Do you think I just need a resistor?

Last edited by DIYaddict; 03-13-07 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed
Old 03-13-07, 07:51 AM
Good chance of this. Yes. Access your timer compartment up top and look for some possible skinny rectangular ceramic thing with s couple wires to it. That would be it. (Have your dryer plug disconnected or breaker off) Now disconnect at least one of the resistor wires. Then ohms test it with meter and it is supposed to be in some area (usually frommy experience) of 3000-4000 ohms. You may find your wiring diagram in that panel up top and if so, look at al the parts and see if you see the resistor with the ohms listing on it.

Old 03-19-07, 09:40 AM
S
How did it go?

I am testing a GE dryer with the same symptoms, just wondering if you were successful in isolating the problem.

Old 03-19-07, 07:03 PM
Read this link:

http://www.applianceaid.com/autodrycycle.html

As you will read the cycle will not advance the timer until the heat shuts off according to the operating thermostat. These are ususally located on or by the 4 inch exhaust pipe inside the dryer.

IF the dryer puts out normal heat that you have been used to, and dries clothes probperly in the timed cycle, then the resistor is the most logical suspect. (See picture of it in the link)

Old 03-22-07, 03:30 PM
S
Symptoms just increased

GE Dryer DDE8500SAMWW:
Automatic cycle heats, but won't advance to off;
new symptom:
Timed cycle advances, but doesn't heat

I read the Applianceaid website--

The first symptom sounds like the resistor which I'll check tonight. From the other answers on the forum, it sounds like I need to check the thermostat and element for the second symptom. Sound like the right move?

thanks