Hotpoint washer won't spin or drain

Old 03-12-07, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hotpoint washer won't spin or drain

I have a Hotpoint topload washer (WLW 3400) that won't spin or drain. The motor runs and you can see the pulley belt going around but there's a grinding noise.
I took the back off and disconnected the motor from the pump and the pump turns OK by hand. The pulley belt from the motor to the barrel isn't broken. I read that moving the motor so the belt is tighter could solve the problem, which I'm going to try.
How do I check to see if the belt needs to be replaced? Like I said, it's not broken. Should it feel a certain way on the inside? Could it have stretched too much and need replacing? How can I tell?
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by jcritchie; 03-13-07 at 03:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-07, 06:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've gotten calls to your problem...less the grinding noise. Grinding noises aren't good, unfortunately. JUST a slipping problem would not cause grinding. And if the belt was slipping, you could either smell burning rubber or actually see the pulley not turning. It sounds to me like you have something stripped out inside.; Not good, unfortunately.

Old 03-13-07, 09:53 AM
To DaVeBoy,
Great. How much will this cost me to have repaired? Thanks.

Old 03-13-07, 11:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Probably in the low hundreds if you had an appliance outfit come in and do it. Is your machine really nice and part of a matching set? If not, I'd maybe consider getting a nice looking used one out of the paper or at some used appliance store. Both me and my folks have gotten some nice used appliances over the years. We both have refrigerators we got many years ago, used,...also a couple ranges... and in excellent condition and no maintenance as of yet.

But if you want to get into tearing down the whole washer...that's up to you. Naturally you will save that way. You would have to call up an appliance store and ask them how much for let's say a bearing/seal for the tub, and how much for your transmission, hypothetically...and decide from there.