smell coming from washer

Old 03-15-07, 03:33 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
smell coming from washer

we have a kenmore electric washer, about 3 years old. It has developed a musty oder and we can,t seam to get rid of it. It is definately coming from inside the washer. Do any of you have any suggestions for removing the smell? Can anyone tell me what is causing the smell?

Old 03-15-07, 03:42 PM
T
Run a cycle of strong chlorine bleach and hot water solution to clean and disinfect. Clean up under edge of seal to remove any odor causing gunk. Leave door open to let washer dry out after using. Refer to owner's manual for care and maintenance. Most manufacturer's tend to recommend periodic cleaning and disinfecting.

Old 03-15-07, 03:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Maybe a sock or other clothing went up over the inner basket rim and is sitting down in the outer tub, damp and wet all the time. (growing black by now)

Another theory is that your machine is not clearing out all it's water and is perhaps syphoning water back into the machine out of laundry tub that is backed up, or your discharge hose is up to high.

I could tell you to run bleach or oxiclean through the machine, but this is highly unusual for even old machines. That is why I suspect something like what I said. It is like for some reason you are ending up with standing water in your outer tub always. You may not even see it in your inner basket, as the bottom of it is up off the bottom of the outer tub by maybe a couple inches.

As one example; MY machine is at least 21 years old an*I* don't have this problem.

Old 03-15-07, 05:42 PM
M
Thanks DaVeBoy!
I looked inside with a flashlight and shook machine. Yes there is water down there. I don't think the hose is too high. What would be causing this, maybe something clogged and preventing all of the water from leaving? Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Old 03-15-07, 06:28 PM
Does your machine spin good and fast and plaster clothes against the inner basket good? Does your hose go down into a standard standpipe with trap? And our of curiousity, how high IS the top of the standpipe?

By design of the amount of line involved under the machine, it's conceivable that some water may remain in the tub, just as with diswashers, water remains in the sump pit. But to make things worse and smellier would be if there is some junk down in there along with the water that habitualy stays in there and is not 'turned over' like the water would be. The water, when 'turned over' would see new water, new detergent, bleach, or whatever,every time you wash.

I may run this by our appliance guys and see what one of them has to say about this. They all like me down at the shop and don't mind telling me stuff.

There is SOMEthing not right in your situation. Either that, you have a 'smeller' that most humans do not possess. I deal with quite a few machines at rentals and I have never paid much attention to noticing any foul odors...even with old machines. Maybe you even have a dead mouse down in there! One that got inside and crawled up over the basket rim and fell into the tub. My mom used to fish dead mice out of our laundry tub as a kid. She would be using sweater cleaner and then we'd hear this horrible shreak come from the basement.

Old 03-15-07, 07:59 PM
M
The top of the stand pipe is 41" and there is a trap. The clothes spin pretty fast. My wife thinks that the smell is worse after larger loads, but I am not sure about that.

Old 03-15-07, 09:55 PM
T
Some washer models have water remaining in bottom, as do dishwashers, to keep pump primed. Check your owner's manual.

Old 03-16-07, 08:32 AM
I just tested out a washing machine and after it spun out, I stuck an incense stick down one of the basklet holes and it is dry in the tub, below the basket.

Can you decribe your whole drain behind the washer better? You said you had a 41 inch stand pipe. That should be okay. Is your black or white discharge hose hooked into the standpipe, loose, without one of those rubber seals tight around it?

Is the standing water in the bottom of the washer actually up in the basket some? Or is it down in the tub below the basket? Waht happens if yo set the machine to spin again? Will any of that water come out?

If I were you this is what I would do: First I would re-spin the machine to see if the water in there comes out.

Then I also would perform these checks: I would fill the machine and let it start to agitate, then advance it to drain and spin cycle. Then after all but a few gallons are left in the machine, (if you don't have a nearby laundry tub to stick the discharge hose in) I would stop the machine...unplug it perhaps, so you don't move the timer. If your machine has a lid lock, allow the lock to release to see how much water is in there. If it appears more than a few gallons are in there (the idea being you need to catch it in a pail or pail), plug the machine back in and let a little more spin out, and then stop it again. When you know you have a few gallons left, then take the discharge hose out of the standpipe. While holding the standpipe off to the side of the machine, but still up in the air at about the the same 41 inch height, run the machine again, continuing the spin cycle while you hold the discharge hose over a 5 gallon pail.

If more water drains out of the tub, and there is no water down below the basket, then that would mean you have to concentrate on what is wrong with your standpipe/drain line (not the discharge hose...the regular house drain. It is possible you have a backup going on, where their is a restriction. A restriction not enough to cause water to come out over the top of the 41 inches. But it might be restricted and climb up in the standpipe. IF you have one of those sealing rubber adapters that clamps the standpipe and the discharge hose together, you could have a scenario where discharge water climbs up a vent pipe and then when the machine stops, it runs back out of the vent pipe back into your washer. Or somehow syphons back in.

Please stay with me on this one as I am curious.

Old 03-16-07, 09:38 AM
M
I ran the spin cycle several times and each time a litle soapy water came out into the bucket. Not a bunch, maybe 1/2 cup. I also held the hose directly over the drain pipe and a little comes out there as well. I looked in the basket with a flashlight and the water under the basket seams to be have not changed.

Old 03-16-07, 09:42 AM
Oh. IF the water spins out if you simply don't do anything first except stick your machine into the spin cycle again to see if the water in there disappears...then I would start to supect that there is a blockage in your main drain piping.

I'm at my friend's apt. early today, when I should be working...er, I *AM*(was just) working. His refrigerator started acting up yesterday, clicking on for only 2-4 seconds at a time. I looked at it and figured it was the run capacitor. I just got back from the appliance shop with the new one. Voila. But I had a scare. At first it was totally dead after the changeout, but I found it had, of all the luck, JUST gone into the defrost cycle. All is well. Now I'm off to make out invoices so somebody can pay me some money.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: