GE Dishwasher Fills When Off

Old 03-21-07, 09:42 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Dishwasher Fills When Off

My 9 year old GE dishwasher (GSD3220Z00BB) recently starting filling with water when off. I replaced the water inlet valve but it still continues to fill slowly after a few days. Drain line seems to be fine.

Old 03-21-07, 05:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is water actually coming in the water supply line to the diswasher? Can you hear it filling or watch your meter spin? (if it has one of those sensitive little red triangular spinners on it).

Do you have the dishwasher air gapped properly to where you can rule out drain line backing up and filling the dishwasher through the drain?

I have personnaly never came across your problem before. I wish I have because that is what I like...to find new problems, challenges.

Does your new fill valve have a screen in it to keep out chunks of rust or ? that could hold the valve open?

If this was me, I would check the meter as said, but depending on the amount of water over what period of time, I may sneek a peek and disconnect the dishwasher side of the water line to make sure that is not the cause...the valve. Then it has to be an issue with the drain somewhere.

BUt ( I am thinking as a I go here)...if the water KEEPS filling in the dishwasher all by itself, over time, deeper and deeper, then I'd have to suspect the fill valve. I'd also check to see if you have some low voltage current leaking to the valve when you should have no current.

Old 03-22-07, 06:37 PM
C
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy View Post
Is water actually coming in the water supply line to the diswasher? Can you hear it filling or watch your meter spin? (if it has one of those sensitive little red triangular spinners on it).
I don't think it is the supply line. I shut the main valve to dishwasher off and it still starts to pool after a day.

Do you have the dishwasher air gapped properly to where you can rule out drain line backing up and filling the dishwasher through the drain?
I believe so. Was working fine for 9 years prior.

Does your new fill valve have a screen in it to keep out chunks of rust or ? that could hold the valve open?
Yes but screen is clean.

If this was me, I would check the meter as said, but depending on the amount of water over what period of time, I may sneek a peek and disconnect the dishwasher side of the water line to make sure that is not the cause...the valve. Then it has to be an issue with the drain somewhere.
Not possible to monitor meter. No "spinner" on it.

BUt ( I am thinking as a I go here)...if the water KEEPS filling in the dishwasher all by itself, over time, deeper and deeper, then I'd have to suspect the fill valve. I'd also check to see if you have some low voltage current leaking to the valve when you should have no current.
I am thinking it's the drain line but can't see how that is possible since the highest point is well above sink drain point. Inlet valve has been shut off but still pooling. Didn't bother checking for low voltage since water was already turned off.

Old 03-23-07, 05:14 PM
If you shut off the valve and it keeps filling and you can't tell by looking at the meter...well, you can tell by looking at the meter because meters are often in 1/100 of a cubic foot (= 1/100 of about 7 1/2 gallons, or about 1/3 quart per smallest line on the meter) increments and you should be able to tell SOMEthing over time. But if you check this, you might first want to shut off valves under your toilets because often toilets leak SOME.

IF you can rule out supply line water for sure...it has to be the drain. Just because you haven't had the problem for 9 years does not mean the plumbing was done right, necessarily. Do you or do you not have an air gap?

Old 03-24-07, 04:25 AM
C
Do you or do you not have an air gap?
No air gap...just a high loop on the drain line.

Old 03-24-07, 02:59 PM
Hmmmm. A high loop is not kosher...but being that as it is, once the water spills over the top of the loop, it shoud not re-enter the dishwasher you wouldn't think. Is the loop higher than the top of the kitchen sink basins? If not, that could cause water, if your drain line was slow, to back up and over the loop.

Have you really, really carefully tried to monitor your meter let's say, overnight? And does the water continue to fill more and more in the dishwasher, or does some wind up in the bottom and then that is the end of it...that it really doesn't continue to grow after that?

Old 03-29-07, 11:04 AM
C
Thumbs up

I think I've got it solved...a clogged drain line. So far so good. Will monitor it. Was just surprised a clogged drain line could cause water to back into dishwasher even with high loop hose.

Thanks DaVeBoy for all your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: