4 year old appliances

Old 04-03-07, 07:00 PM
4 year old appliances

Ok here's a situation that I have found myself in. A friend of a friend of mine is redoing her kitchen. They are purchasing all new appliances. I have no dishwasher and an older magic shelf range. They have 4 year old Amana stainless steel appliances. They are selling the dishwasher (softsound III), free standing electric range (smooth top-5.14 cu feet), and side by side fridge (25.6 cu feet). 4 years ago they paid $525 for the dishwasher, $800 for the range, and $1320 for the fridge.
I am contemplating the purchase of these from them, but have a few ??/concerns.
#1 Do these sound like good realiable units after 4 years of use? Only husband and wife use. I tried to include all info but I do not have the actual model numbers to look up available reviews.
#2 What would be a reasonable, non-offending price to pay for these 4 year old units? They said make an offer.

Thanks in advance.
Mike in MN

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-07, 07:40 PM
You can search eBay and other used appliance websites for comparison shopping on used appliance models for a comparison point. Actually, 4 years old is like new. You can start with offering 1/2 price or less and see if you get a bite.

I am not a wheeler/dealer and never dicker at flea markets or yard sales. From what I understand, in the world of 'used,' it's a game and the sellers love the wheeler/dealer and dicker part. If I want something, I will pay the price if it's reasonable. I never learned the 'art' of asking 'what's the lowest you will accept on this item.' My background is 'if you have to ask the price, then you can't afford it.' Newly found poverty, however, has given me new insight, but I have yet to learn how to shuffle up, lower my eyes, and ask 'what's the lowest you will accept on this item.'

I bought a like new slide-in range for $50 from my cabinet installer. Who knows what he paid for it when he installed the new kitchen for the homeowner? I am sure he made a profit at $50. It took me 3 days to clean it, but it looks like new and acts like new. He said, "I'll sell you this stove for $50" and I said with wide innocent brown eyes, "O.K." It sat in my warehouse through the winter before moving it. The door seal deteriorated due to temperature extremes, and I wanted to make sure the oven was calibrated, so I called a local appliance repair person. For the cost of the seal and installation and calibration and three days of cleaning, I have a like-new stove which I rarely use because I live alone and rarely cook anything for myself.

Old 04-04-07, 05:17 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 40
I think half of what they paid new is a good price, assuming everything is clean and in working order.