I think I fried my dryer...

Reply

  #1  
Old 05-03-07, 06:36 AM
B
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think I fried my dryer...

Hey gang...
I had to replace my heating element a couple days ago, and while I had my dryer in pieces, I forgot to reattach the ground wire! I figured this out the hard way! When I plugged the dryer in, a 6 inch flame about hit me in the shin... The flame came from the terminal block, so I figured I must have forgotten something. When I popped the cover off of the back of the dryer, I saw that the ground wire was touching one of the hot wires... And the ground wire, as well as the nut that holds the hot wire in place, were both melted almost all the way through...
So, needless to say, my dryer doesn't run now. I replaced the cord (making sure to plug in the ground wire this time), and nothing happens... The dryer doesn't run.
So, now I'm stuck. I don't want to buy a new dryer... I'd look pretty good to my family if I could figure this thing out on my own (with your help...).
Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions about what could be causing the dryer not to run now? Did I kill the dryer?
I'm looking forward to your responses... Thanks in advance!
JB
 
  #2  
Old 05-03-07, 08:45 AM
S
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flames

Flames are never a good thing - but it was probably just the insulation burning off the wires.

Look for a fuse somewhere in the system - failing that - start checking back from where the flames initiated - and check the household circut breaker for the circut to which the dryer is connected - it should have tripped - so it could be something as simple as re-setting the circut breaker.

If it's not the circut breaker or an internal fuse then grab your multimeter and start checking for continuity on the various circuts until you located the fried one -

best of luck -

Steve
 
  #3  
Old 05-03-07, 10:27 AM
B
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flames Resolved (I hope)

Thanks Steve...
I went home for lunch to do some continuity testing w/ my multimeter... Couldn't find any issues... I then realized, from doing a little online research, that I could test the outlet... I thought about doing this a couple days ago, but didn't have time to research it... I figured I'd blow myself up if I stuck the tongs of the multimeter into the outlet...
So, I just tested the outlet, and got no reading! I went downstairs to the main circuit box, and noticed that there were 2 more breakers for the dryer... How did I not see these the first 3 times I checked? I reset the one that had been tripped, and performed the test on that outlet again... Sure enough, I got a reading this time...
I didn't have the power cord w/ me (took it back to Lowes last night... I had planned on buing a new dryer, but got cold feet and wanted to prove to myself that I can figure something out), so I will test the dryer tonight.
Crossing my fingers...
Thanks again for the reply!
This is a great site, and I'm certain I will use it quite a bit in the near future, as I'm a new home owner (first home).
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: