Agitator not working on Maytag PAV2300

Old 05-18-07, 06:31 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Agitator not working on Maytag PAV2300

My Maytag PAV2300 is about 7 years old. A few weeks ago we noticed some grinding noise while the machine was agitating. It sounded like a bad bearing but not quite that intense. I am fairly certain that it came from the top part (softener unit) of the agitator because I still can hear that directional bearing making noise when turned manually. The machine was fully functional.

Today the agitating movement quit. However, the machine drains and spins as it should.

Further observations: The belt is ok and can be moved by hand. All pullies (motor, pump and main shaft) move quietly. I removed the agitator from inside the tub. The engagement between shaft and the large plastic cap is secure and shows no sign of wear. So the shaft of the agitator is not spinning. (I am hesitant to directly confirm that with water in the tub since the grease on the shaft may cause is mess - proofing the obvious.)

I removed all the bolts on the outside of the machine but I have trouble removing the cover unit (does it have to be pulled up?)

How does the machine with one pulley on the center shaft activate at times the drum (tub) and at other times the agitator shaft ?

I hope someone can give me a few hints

Frank

Old 05-18-07, 08:55 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Update

Update > I managed to open the machine .. the top has to be unscrewed in the back and the front of the top cover has to be popped up with a wedge. Then the front can be unbolted with two screws and removed.
For now I can see how I could access all the parts. I found a partslist with explosion views here: http://www.partselect.com/MultiModels.as...

My shaft does not seem to be broken ... I am still not certain how this whole thing works. I could imagine some cam that engages the shaft when required ?

What could stop the agitator shaft from turning ?

Frank

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: