Refrigerator Goes Tick Tick Tick...

Old 05-24-07, 08:28 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Refrigerator Goes Tick Tick Tick...

A few weeks ago, my refrigerator had to be moved for a carpet installation. Ever since, the fridge has made a tick...tick...tick sound. Each tick comes just under 2 seconds apart. Itís not extremely loud. Not quite as loud as a small pendulum clock. If I open the fridge door, it sounds like it might be coming in the vicinity of the temp control wheel. I keep a thermometer in the fridge, and when I open the door, it will be anywhere between 20 degrees and 32 degrees F. Nothing ever freezes, so maybe the thermometer isnít really that accurate. What might be causing the tick...tick...tick?

The fridge is a General Electric No Frost, and is about 28 or 29 years old.

Old 05-24-07, 04:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Sounds like maybe the defrost timer malfunctioning. The swings in temp would also point that direction.

Old 05-24-07, 06:48 PM
W
Thank you. Is it something that is going to quit working soon, and is it worth fixing, or is it time for a new fridge?

Old 05-25-07, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
At 28-29 years old, even it was working to perfection it would probably be time to replace. The electrical consumption alone as compared to a newer model is probably considerable. Hoping one of the appliance pro's will jump into the discussion.

Old 05-25-07, 07:28 AM
W
There is a local store that has added appliances to their inventory, but might be liquidating that part of their business, so I might be able to get a decent price on a new fridge. Are there brands/models to stay away from? I donít need/want anything fancy. I can make my own ice cubes, and make my own ice water. Just need a nice, roomy, well organized fridge with a freezer on top.

Old 05-25-07, 12:31 PM
Group Moderator
I'll let the pro's tackle that one. I've had Sears Kenmore fridges for about25 years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: