Side-by-side Freezer bad

Old 06-17-07, 04:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Side-by-side Freezer bad

I have a 7 yr old Roper/Whirlpool Sisde by Side Frig/Freezer that decided to defrost itself over the weekend... I have open the rear access panel and see the fan turning... The Black tank is warm and I hear a relay on the side of it click... I can hear the freezer left side (internal) fan also... But no cold... It sounds like the realy on the black canister is "clicking" every minute or so...

Any ideas ??? I am a retired Navy Elctrician and know my way around but there are "pieces" missing that I can't find that may be the problem... i.e. freezer thermostat, reset button (???), etc...

Any and all ideas would be highly appreciated... J.R.

Old 06-17-07, 04:44 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The black canister you are referring to is the compressor. It sounds like the compressor is failing to start for some reason. One thing to try is replacing the compressor start relay and overload that you are hearing "click" on the left side of the compressor. If it still fails to start, you may have a locked compressor in which it would not be cost effective to repair the unit. The compressor would have to be replaced and that is extremely expensive to have replaced by a licensed technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: