Refrigerator will not stop running

Old 06-27-07, 09:31 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Refrigerator will not stop running

I have a kitchen aid frig with an icemaker. I was doing fine until my friend
tried to connect the copper water tube out of the way. He put a screw in the back of the frig to attach the tube which put a hole in the back of the metal back that covers the frig. Now I think since this is a sealed unit the freon all leaked out.

No water is coming to the icemaker, frost is slowly building up in the freezer and the frig is contantly running. I would like to know if the back of the frig
has to be replaced, can it be replaced and if this might be causing the problem. It was working just fine befor the hole in the back.

Can freon be replaced in the frig , can the hole be soldered? It is a small screw hole but non the less a hole. This just happened today so I dont know if I am doing damage by letting it run over night. Does anyone know what I should do.

Old 06-28-07, 03:00 PM
D
Refrigerator

I really doubt he hit a freon line by putting a small screw in back wall of fridge. If he would have caught a line, you would hear the freon hissing out. I think you have another problem that happened around the same time. It sounds like a defrost problem if ice is building up in your freezer. The ice is building up on your freezer coils due to either the timer bad & not going into defrost cycle or heater at coils is bad. The more ice that builds up, the less cold air the fan can circulate in freezer & fresh food section. Icemaker will not work if temp. is up in freezer. You have to remove back wall in freezer to get at coils. If coils are a big block of ice, turn off fridge & melt off with a hairdryer. Test heater. If thats ok, defrost timer is probably bad. There is also
a round thermostat clipped to the top of coils. They don't usually go bad but it is possible.

Old 06-28-07, 03:53 PM
G
refrigrator will not stop running

Ok, thanks so much. I see that it could be several things wrong. I called the
air condition/refrig man today and he seems to think I should get a new icemaker because no water will come in the icemaker. I dont want to pay all that money for an icemaker if thats not the problem.

The frig seems to run a lot. I want to see if I can defrost the line to the icemaker but dont know how to do it.Should I use the hair dryer on the inside of the icemaker near the little white tube, cant tell if ice is in it. I poured some water in the ice maker to see if it would freeze and turn out. I am a woman and do not know how to take the back off and look for the coils.

the freezer seems to be doing a bit better, not much frost now but the frig is still running. Will this damage the compressor? It seems as though there is so many possible things that could be wrong. Is the plate you mentioned inside the freezer that I should take off and use the hair dryer? thanks so much for the reply and interest

Old 06-28-07, 04:27 PM
D
Refrigerator

Do you have a thermometer you can put in freezer to check temp.? If the water you put in icemaker freezes & pushes cubes out, the freezer must be cold enough for icemaker to run. That tube you refered to at back of icemaker should pull out from back wall of freezer. You can check it for ice.
The coils are behind the back wall inside freezer. You will probably have to remove icemaker to remove panel. It sounds like you might have to call a repairman. Even if you get to coils, do you know how to test heater & thermostat? The only other suggestion I have is if you have another place to store your frozen & fresh foods for a day or two. If so, turn this fridge off, prop doors open a few inches & let it defrost naturally for a full day. Turn it back on & if it seems to be working ok & starts making ice, keep a close eye on it. It takes a week or so until the defrost problem comes back & temps. start to rise.

Old 06-28-07, 05:09 PM
G
refrigerator stop working

Thanks so much. Yes I do have a deep freezer downstairs that I can put the frozen food in but I do not have a frig for the fresh food. I can go to the publix and buy a few bags of ice and use two coolers for a day or so. Do you think that will help if I let it stay off for a full day. Should I put the hairdryer in to blow and help the process along?

I will go now and get the ice and take everything out of the frig. Now where will the water go that defrost out will it just go inside the freezer part so i can sponge it out. Do you think I should call Sears after it defrost? Thanks so much. the only thermonmeter that I have is an outside one I did put it in the freezer and it looks like the temp is reading around 10 0r 15. Hard to tell because when I open the freezer door to read it the thing go up from the hot air.

thank you so much, I will go now to buy some ice.

Old 06-28-07, 05:48 PM
D
Refrigerator

24 hrs. should be enough to melt all ice off coils with doors open. The water should go in tray below fridge, however, if excess ice on coils the tray might overflow so put a few towels on floor just in case. I would wait a week or so before you call a repairman to see how fridge is working after defrost.

Old 06-28-07, 05:59 PM
G
refrigerator stop working

Thanks so very very much. I will start taking everythin out now and put it in coolers and downstairs freezer. will let you know soon as I can finish as this little job will take a while but i am willing to do what I have to do as I do certainly appreciate the help from you. thanks

Old 06-28-07, 07:45 PM
G
Smile refrigrator will not stop running

OK I have everything out of the frig, and I left the door open so it could defrost.Is there anything else I should do? thanks very much. I guess the ice will melt sometime tomorrow,please I will respond on
friday to let you know how I am coming with this problem. I really do appreciate your help. thank you very much.

Old 06-29-07, 04:33 PM
G
Angry refrigrator will not stop running

Bad , sad news. I took everything out of the frig. Just plug it back in but left everything out. The freezer is very cold but the frig is warm. In fact the temp is reading around '54 degrees. the frig is not getting cold. The icemaker did not send for any water either. What do you think is wrong. I did not call sears because I just paid $45.00 to another service call yesterday but he did not do anything. He wanted me to pay to replace the icemaker but I can see now that it is something serious wrong.

I think it is major, Don't you?

Old 06-30-07, 09:24 AM
G
refrigrator will not stop running

I would just like to thank you all your good and real advice. You have just saved me hundreds of dollars at least for this week. I did what you said, let the frig run all night and guess what? Yes, this morning I had a tray of ice from the ice maker and the temp in the frig went down to around 34F.

Do you think it will continue to work this way. I did let it defrost itself for 24 hours like you suggested and now it seems ok. That is a lot of worry off my mind at least for the moment. Just wanted you to know that I appreciate all the information. This site to me is the best thing since "sliced bread"

I won't worry to much this week, I will wait and watch it to see what happens next. Again thank a million. God Bless

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: