Maytag Washer not spinning

Old 07-12-07, 09:20 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag Washer not spinning

Hey all,
I have a Maytag Dependable Care washer (lat3500) that my wife noticed a smell and that it wasn't spinning. Turns out the belt on the motor pulley was slipping and not turning the drum. I noticed that if I pulled back on the motor tension assy, it was able to get enough tension to spin up the drum.

So, I replaced the drive belt. Same problem. Then, I replaced the gliders on the tensioning assy with a round glide kit (pn: 2-5000) which apparently replaced the square ones on it. It also comes with new springs (which might be a little more taught). When I plug it in and have it spin, it slips none. In fact, my motor started smoking before I could unplug it.

I am able to turn the drum from the inside. It's pretty tight but I can turn it. I can also turn it from the drive pulley underneath.

Thoughts? What else is there to check?

Bill

Old 07-13-07, 02:58 AM
B
"I replaced the drive belt"

You got Maytag belt, right? This is important.

"In fact, my motor started smoking before I could unplug it."

The motor itself started smoking? Nothing between the inner tub and the outter tub causing a bind? Slide assembly sliding? Does it drain? Been a while, and I am trying to remember what kind of pump this might have. Electric or belt driven? If belt driven, check the pump for blockage. I have a pic of the pump ( in my mind ) in the corner of the cabinet . This may be just on the older models. Hoping it is not a brake problem. Sounds like maybe the original problem is still there that caused the no-spin situation.

Hoping for the best, make sure you have the proper belt and the pump spins freely. Check that the slide assembly is funtioning also.

Old 07-13-07, 08:43 AM
M
Slide assy working great. I'm wondering if it's tensioning the belt too tight. The belt doesn't say that it's a maytag but it came from a washer specialty place here in town that a lot of contractors go to. Perhaps I should try a maytag belt.

Yep, I'm pretty sure it was the motor. Nice electrical smell rather than a burnt belt smell. With no slippage, it had to spin the drum up.

Yes, the pump is belt drive and in teh front RH corner. Spins nice and freely. I'm wondering if it is a brake problem. However, I really don't know. I don't know anything about where or how the brake works. Ideas?

It the past it's drained fine. Pump seems to function fine.

Old 07-13-07, 01:20 PM
B
When you bought the belt, did you give them a model number and or tell them it was for a Maytag? These belts are different than normal washer belts. Made with some sort of fabric to allow it to slip then tighten and work with that sliding mechanism. Can't really help you with the brake part. I normally did not messw ith brakes and tranny's.

Old 07-22-07, 07:54 AM
M
Okay, I replaced the belts with maytag belts. It worked for a little while but then started to do it again. I decided that the motor felt too loose. So, I took bought a new tensioner kit (I think I mentioned this earlier) and took one of the other springs that seemed tighter and put it on the tensioner. That provided a litte more tension. For about 1 week, it seemed to have solved the problem. However, now I have the problem again.

Thoughts? Anything I can check?

Bill

Old 07-22-07, 12:20 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Two easy things without getting into transmission stuff: Did you actually replace the tensioner pully? These can go bad and bind up from like a goo that gets in the bearing of them. If the belt is tight and the tensioner pully itself cannot easily spin, this loads up the motor. Then, if the motor can't spin easily you can burn it up. The other thing is, when you replaced the belt, did you actually try to spin the shaft of the motor to rule out a bad motor bearing? Whenever one changes out a belt, especially one that seemed to fail without any real sign of cracking/old age, you really need to check those two things or else risk losing the new belt right away or perhaps even the motor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: