problem with new Kenmore fridge

Old 07-14-07, 04:26 PM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile problem with new Kenmore fridge

Hi! I have a new Kenmore fridge (got delivered on Sat. 7/7/07). This was a replacement for the same model that had bad gasket seals on the doors (we were able to return the first one within 30 days). Anyway, the seals are fine on this fridge, but there are ice droplets that buildup on the back panel of the freezer. Also, some ice droplets are sometimes on the freezer door. Does anyone know if this is "normal" or not. The other one did this also, but we figured it was from the seals being bad, so that is why we got the same model. I had a service person check the new one, but he only checked the seals (nothing mechanical), and said he couldn't see anything wrong. I don't know if anyone has seen this or experienced this without having mechanical problems. I don't want to be stuck with a fridge that breaks down after 1 year or so.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dorothy

Old 07-15-07, 09:34 AM
G
What you are experiencing is probably normal. Mine does this too. What is happening is when the freezer goes into defrost, some of the moisture that builds on the back wall of the freezer liquefies then when the unit starts back up it refreezes. As long as you don't get a huge amount of frost buildup on the back wall of the freezer, you are ok. If a huge amount of frost builds up on the back wall of the freezer and the refrigerator section starts to warm up, that indicates a defrost problem.

Old 07-15-07, 10:14 PM
I
Hi! Thank you for the reply. How old is your fridge? I just don't want to have a problem down the road. I also have a light frost that appears on the upper front ceiling of the freezer as well as a bit of frost/droplets on the freezer door. This is even there when the freezer has been closed all night. I think that part may indicate a problem with the freezer seal, even though it looks o.k. I don't think that it is sealing as tightly as the fridge seal. I will probably call Sears, but the 1st person they sent out either didn't know anything and/or was told to not spend much time on it. I will have to decide soon if we do want to exchange for a different model.

Thanks,

Dorothy

Old 07-16-07, 08:56 AM
B
You can check the seals yourself with a dollar bill to get an indication of whether they are sealing off. Doors can get bumped and be out of allignment during install/transport.

Old 07-16-07, 09:39 AM
I
Smile

Hi! I did check the seals on the freezer door and they seem o.k., but they may not be as the delivery men didn't make sure the fridge was level, etc. We had to do that when they left. I can see where the freezer door sticks out a little bit more (the handle) than the fridge door. I don't think that the freezer seals as strongly as the fridge door. Any suggestions on how to correct that or is it better left to a tech? Also, could that be causing the problems I am having, or at least the light frosting on the ceiling and the droplets on the door?

Thanks,

Dorothy

Old 07-16-07, 03:20 PM
B
H ow did you check the seals? With dollar bill slid around them to see if there was a slight drag at all places the seal meets the door? Might not hurt to let it sit slightly tilted to the back so the door does not try to open when the door shelves are heavy with stuff. Just a slight tilt might work there. And yes, when cold air meets warm air, you get moisture. Especially check the corners for sealing. They may need to adjust the hinges or the liner on the door if this problem seems excessive. Is it opened and closed a lot during the day?

Old 07-16-07, 04:28 PM
I
Smile

Hi! Yes, I did check with a dollar bill and it did have some resistance, but not a lot. The fridge part is opened more during the day, but not excessively. The freezer part is not opened as often. I do think that the corners of the freezer seal may not be touching exactly right. I will test with the dollar bill again. Not quite sure I understand, what would tilting the fridge back do exactly?

Thanks,

Dorothy

Old 07-16-07, 06:20 PM
B
"what would tilting the fridge back do exactly?"

Actually, I was thinking of the fresh food compartment when I mentioned the door shelves getting heavy with stuff. This can make it easier for the door to come open or not seal right if it is the least bit out of level tilting toward the front. If the fridge is level, it should have no affect on the freezer if it is aside by side. Is it a side by side? Also check the doors for level horizonally to make sure there is no sag even if the cabinet is level. May just be a quirk with that model.

"it did have some resistance, but not a lot."
Slight drag on the bill is all you need. Kind of hard to explain. The seals have strip magnets in them, and they are not very strong at any given point. But, the seal does have to touch the cabinet. Got to thinking about this and checked my old Kitchenaid side by side. No ice ice droplets in it, and I do have a problem with the door on the ff compartment closing or coming open sometimes. Our door stays heavy with stuff, and itmay be tilting a little toward the front. Heheh, I also need to check the risers on that door. These little plastic like pieces that fit at the bottom of the door between the metal part that serves as part of the hinge and the door itself and helps keep the door shut. This being a new unit, I would try to get some answers from the store. Just seems ironic that you got rid of one unit for a moisture problem and replaced it with one doing the same thing. Did the old one always do it? I'm not at all sure this is normal.

The hinges on most can be adjusted as can the liner and seal, but this being new and under warranty, it is best to let the dealer deal with it.

Old 07-16-07, 07:19 PM
I
Smile

Thank you! The fridge is a top freezer, not a side-by-side. I do agree with you. The other fridge did have some ice droplets also, but there was definitely a problem with the seal on the fridge section and we figured that was why there was some problems with the ice droplets. Obviously, this is not the case as this one is doing the same. As I said before, we don't want to go through the hassle of returning this one, but we don't want to be stuck with a defective fridge. Who knows though, maybe this is "normal" for this model and we may get something else that has a different problem. Hard to say. I don't even know what would be the best brand to get. I just want a basic fridge with no ice maker or water. We have a Galaxy fridge (almost identical inside to the model I know have - is from Sears also) in the basement (left here with the house) that is @ 7 years old and there isn't any frost or ice droplets at all in it and the freezer is very full (not as much in the fridge section). However, our basement is probably 10 degrees cooler than upstairs and it isn't opened as much.

Thank you again for your help,

Dorothy

Old 07-16-07, 09:23 PM
G
Sorry for my late answer to your earlier question, Dorothy. Mine is a Kenmore (Whirlpool built). It is about 2 years old, top freezer. If you are having frost buildup near the seal at the door, then there probably is a door seal problem. All Kenmore products are built by other manufacturers, it depends on your model.

Check your messages. I sent you a private message.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: