Kenmore Coldspot Ice Dispenser problem

Old 07-18-07, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Coldspot Ice Dispenser problem

I have a Kenmore Coldspot side-by-side refrigerator (#106.59592990) that has a water and ice dispenser on the left door. I have used the icemaker for about 1 1/2 years with no problem whatsoever. Now when I press the ice dispenser lever, I get no ice. The motor does not run at all.

There is no problem with the icemaker itself (it is producing plenty of ice as always). It's just that it will not come out when the lever is pressed. Should I just assume that this is a bad motor or is there perhaps another explanation for this? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-07, 10:18 AM
K
Smile coldspot ice dispenser problem

I have the same coldspot and my dispenser is doing the same thing, or did before I remedied it. In my opinion, it is a poor design. There probably isn't anything really broken, but if you will gently lift and pop the front cover off (there are two slots at the bottom), leaving the cover plugged in, remove the two small screws holding the assembly on and lift that assembly out of the way, (a second person would be nice to hold these out of your way) try pushing in the on off button to see if the dispenser comes on. The button is on the very back of a little black (about 1" square) switch. There are two, one for water and one for ice. You want the one on the your left. If the dispenser comes on, try putting the assembly back on and hold it in place tightly while you try to get ice the normal way by pushing the plastic toggle. If you watch the button on the black switch while you push the plastic toggle in normally, the button is probably not getting pushed in hard enough by the other end of the toggle. I think the plastic is not strong enough for the job and over time bends enough so that the little toggle doesn't push in the button far enough. I remedied mine by layering small pieces of duct tape on top of the little toggle end so that it could push the button fully in. It works like a charm.

Now, if your dispenser did nothing when you pushed in the button you likely have a bad switch. The good news is that they are inexpensive. I like to order parts from repairclinic.com. They can probably explain how your dispenser works better than I just did too. Good luck with your repair.

Old 05-28-14, 08:03 PM
J
I know this is an old post, but I had exactly this problem and I completed the diagnostics as suggested and this solution work. Thank you!