Whirlpool Washer: Weak Agitation

Old 07-19-07, 08:11 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Washer: Weak Agitation

I have a Whirlpool 7 speed 2 cycle washing machine, and lately the agitation has been very weak. W/o getting too mechanical yet, I suspect it may be a belt, but I do not know much about washing machines in general. The model # is LST7233AQ0. Everything works, it spins great, fills and drains, but the agitation is pathetic; you can hold it still with 1 finger, and the clothes don't even get moved around. The motor sounds fine. Is something stripped? Is a belt loose? Is this something I can fix myself, or how much will it cost to correct? THANKS!!!!

Old 07-20-07, 08:18 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
On machines I am familiar with often if the agitation goes to the degree you say, then the spin is not there either, and a belt is real loose if it has one. What MAY be happening, if you have a belt drive, is that even though you think it spins, from observing it empty, it TOO may not be locking up as well as it should. If the belt is loose you can actually hold back on the basket as it tries to spin, in such a case.

[But one has to be careful if ever trying reaching in an operating machine and doing such tests!]

Another way to see is to load up the machine with heavy type clothes and see if it will spin those out, pinning the clothes against the outter wall of the basket. If it don't, then the spin is slipping also.

On a direct drive you wil have a coupler to prevent damage to the motor in case something locks up that shouldn't, so the coupler acts as the weak link. But there again, I'd think you'd have more than just the agitaor issue, but I'm not posiitve for sure. Worth a look at anyway. Or a clutching issue perhaps. Or perhaps a stripped out agitator (but do you hear the sound of the shaft trying to agitate? If you do, then this would be a good bet. But if you don't hear a sound of it trying to agitate, this probably is not it.

Access machine and check for belt or coupler for starters, and see what you can see if you run the machine with that access open to observe. And IF you have a worn belt, it does not have to be broken; just stretched and/or the "v" severely worn down and you will see black powder in the bottom of the machine. (I just changed one out yesterday on an Amana. Easy job once I removed the 4 motor bolts.)

Old 07-20-07, 08:27 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Great response, I appreciate it. I will have a look at it today. Are there any precautions I need to take to prevent damage to the machine? For example, can it be turned on it's side or back or will that mess it up? The agitation sounds fine- if you were across the room, it sounds like a normal washing machine, the motor sounds perfect. But when you open it, it's hardly moving, so I hope it's just a belt. If the agitator is stripped (not sure if it's direct drive or belt), is that a difficult or expensive fix? Thanks!!

Old 07-20-07, 08:32 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Late last year I replaced a coupler by laying it on it's side or back. It's worked for the family of 6 ever since. Sometimes you have to, depending on the machine, to access from the very underside of the machine. Other times you opt for such procedure due to getting old and stiff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: