Dryer doesn't get clothes completely dry

Old 07-20-07, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer doesn't get clothes completely dry

I have a 7-year old whirlpool lec7848dqo electric dryer, which needs to run forever just to get a light load dried. I keep the lint trap clean and the exhaust duct is also clean. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-07, 11:49 PM
Ensure that there is a strong flow of air to the outside of the home from the dryer. Also make sure the hose isn't kinked or too long behind the dryer. Almost all issues with drying time are related to poor air flow. Usually if there is a problem with the dryer it will not heat at all.

Old 07-21-07, 10:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
gdoug is for sure right, but also take thermometer capable of going up to say 160 or so, and take it and see what the top and low temp is (you have to wait a bit and stare at thermometer to watch it climb, then drop back, climb again, etc.) at your exhaust behind the dryer, or if that is a pain for you, you can test it outside at the venthood also. See what you get.

As far as cleaning out your lint screen, that is good that you have been diligent. But the lint first has to travel through holes in either the metal door or through a piece of plastic at the front bottom just above the drum that has square holes in it, to even get to the lint screen, and these can get blocked off. Also keep your door/gasket mating surfaces clean so cool room air can't be drawn into the drum. Also, if your lint screen gets stuff under it and then upon replacing the lint screen eachtime, it sits up in the air some, you create a viscous cycle of allowing more lint to get under the trap and clog the entry to the blower. You ever see that infomercial on tv right now for that lint brush, for cleaning down under the lint screen?, because that is a good idea. You can buy cheap appliance brushes at big-box stores to do this along with crevice tools attached to vacuums.

Old 07-21-07, 04:39 PM
You don't say, but how hot do the clothes feel when the machine is done?
Do they feel HOT, or just warm?

If it's just warm, probably a faulty thermostat that is short cycling the temp.

This is a device placed in the exhaust stream that turns the heating coil on and off. If it turns off too soon, the air never gets hot enough.

It's a cheap part (about $15) and fairly easy to replace if your handy with a screwdriver. Replace the thermal fuse while you are at it.

Old 07-22-07, 08:45 AM
[QUOTE=Pendragon;1206629]You don't say, but how hot do the clothes feel when the machine is done? Do they feel HOT, or just warm?[QUOTE]

That could be misleading because the dryer runs a cool down cycle before shutting off.

Old 07-22-07, 01:50 PM
Mine doesn't, if it does the clothes are still quite hot when they come out.

Nonsense typing to fill the minutes I am being forced to wait between posts.
Don't you find that this wait annoying? I know I sure do. Even if I open posts in another window, I end up with several windows all with waiting between posts messages... grrrr

Every so often wouldn't be so bad, but some days I get half a dozen or more forced waits, sometimes I just skip answering the post altogether because it is so annoying!