frigidaire dishwasher not starting

Old 07-26-07, 06:01 PM
frigidaire dishwasher not starting

First off, thank you for staring this forum, whoever started it. I used this resource last week to repair my Roper gas dryer which was my first gas dryer repair. Now to my current problem, I have a Frigidaire dishwasher FDB857RJB0 that is not working. It has the buttons on the front with lights above them. I select normal wash and no dry and then press start and the "washing" light comes on, along with lights for the previously mentioned options, but it does not fill. I turned the breaker off for 5min and turned it back on and pressed the start button to reset per the manual to no avail. I have rattled the over fill sensor up and down and hear a click in the up and down positions but still no run. will go try to see if there is a problem with the door close sensor but does anyone else have an idea for something to check? Thank you for any help,

bill-ffr1910

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-07, 10:32 PM
Some of the first things to check would be, did the water accidentally get turned off to the dishwasher? You need a volt meter to check for voltage at the fill valve, then go from there. If you have voltage to the fill valve, than the valve is bad, provided you have water pressure to the dishwasher. If you do not have voltage to the fill valve, then the wiring needs to be traced back to the control board and check for voltage there. The overflow switch could be bad also. Also check the door switch(es). If there is a cancel/drain function, try that with the door closed. If it operates, then the door switch(es) should be good.

Old 07-27-07, 05:07 AM
gdoug,

thank you for the reply. i turned the water off a few days ago to change faucet seals, but i turned it back on and have used the DW since. i checked the door latch switch by trying to operate buttons with the door open but it would not let me until i shut the door. i will put a VOM on the water valve and see if i get juice. one other thing, since the last time i used the DW, we have had a thunderstorm with lots of lightning, but our house did not get a direct hit and i have not noticed anything else acting up.

bill

Old 07-27-07, 07:29 AM
gdoug,

i just pulled the wires off of the back of the water valve. i put my meter leads in the connector and got 0 VAC reading when off. when i select wash and press start button, the voltage goes up to 40 VAC then back to 0VAC. Does this sound like the computer might be at fault, or what? Thank you for your help,

bill

Old 07-27-07, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have 120v coming into the dishwasher? Did you test for these volts also at the door switch and start button?

This is a newer 'board' controlled unit?, and yet has "push buttons"? as opposed to those newer fronts that are usually flush with nothing sticking out? Or did you only say "button" to let us know you pushed what is marked?

Old 07-30-07, 06:04 AM
ecman,

yes, button meant the circular spot on the flat panel, touch pad. i have not specifically checked to see if i have 120 coming in, assumed so since breaker was on but did not check to rule out a bad breaker. it is a board controlled unit. i guess i am in a holding pattern and my wife read our home warranty and saw where DW repairs are covered and it is a $70 fee which is half the price of a control board. thank you all for your help,

bill

Old 07-30-07, 07:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Key message: Never assume. For all we might not realize, whoever nutted the wires in the box in the dishwasher could have done a poor job.

Coud you let us know what they find was wrong?

Old 07-30-07, 07:08 AM
will do. might go in there and check voltage coming in from house wiring just for my own curiosity.

bill

Old 07-30-07, 07:38 AM
just checked voltage coming in to DW, 120VAC. home warranty people are sposed to call me within 24hr of filing my claim, hope that is true as i am sick of my wife washing dishes.

bill

Old 08-06-07, 06:07 PM
okay, found the problem. the mx tech from the home warranty people came and replaced the control board, that was not the issue. turns out, it was the door switch was not working right cause the door latch bracket was cracked. I ASSUMED the door switch was working right as the lights on the front panel would go off when i opened the door, but, there are two switches in the mechanism and one of the was not closing/opening at the right spot due to the cracked bracket. if you latch it and set it, THEN, pull out on it a little it will start. bad news is they will have to order the part and then hopefully will be installed by this friday. good news is the dw will run with a piece of paper wedged at the top against the countertop-i have been using the tech sheet that came with the dw

bill