How to test dishwasher circuit with analog multimeter

Old 08-08-07, 02:55 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to test dishwasher circuit with analog multimeter

I am about to replace my dishwasher and want to verifiy that the circuit is indeed off. I have an analog multitester. I've never used on of these and the instructions are not very clear to me.

Under the dishwasher, it looks like there are 3 wires to deal with: a black wire (hot?), white wire (neutral?), and an exposed copper wire (ground?).

Questions:

1. I've read that most dishwashers use 120 V, but the analog multitester has options only for 10, 50, 250, 500. Should I pick the 250 option? (Since 120 V seems standard for many circuits, why isn't this listed as a setting?)

2. How exactly do I test the circuit? Do I hold one prong to the hot wire, and the other prong to the copper wire? Then switch and test another pair at the sime time (hot and neutral)? Then again to test the final combination (neutral and ground)?

Thank you!

Kurt

Old 08-08-07, 03:20 PM
K
Okay ... I've read several websites on installing a dishwasher which include this step:

"Attach the black multimeter contact to the ground wire ..." [okay] ...

"... then touch the red contact to the black wire and the white wire."

Does this last part mean that the red contact should be touch both the black and white wires *at the same time*? Or do I touch the red contact to the black wire (read meter), then move on and touch the red contact to the white wire (read meter).

Thanks.

Old 08-08-07, 05:46 PM
C
I use a non-contact voltage tester if I am unsure if the circuit is off. Then after I disconnect the circuit I do the checks with the black and white with the voltage tester. Don't touch one probe to the black and white at the same time.

For obvious reasons, don't actually touch the wires yourself, just touch the probes to them.

If you don't have the voltage tester, you can get one with the light and all it does it indicate if the circuit has power.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: