Maytag Dryer PYE2000AYW Rev 11 won't turn

Old 08-10-07, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag Dryer PYE2000AYW Rev 11 won't turn

Any advice would be helpful!

Maytag Performa Dryer PYE2000AYW Rev 11 - The drum stopped turning. The timer seems to be working (I can hear it clicking like normal when in timed dry mode), and the light comes on in the dryer when the door is opened and turns off when holding down the switch. At one point right before it completely died, it was making a noise like it was trying to turn and failed. I was able to duplicate the issue briefly by holding down the door switch and turning on the dryer. I could see the drum try to turn slowly and then it completely died. Now, it doesn't even try. Oh yeah, and there was a bit of a burned smell for just a little while.

I've opened the top and the belt seems to be in place. The drum turns freely when I push it one direction or the other.

I also read a few forums which suggest possibly fuses. I've run a continuity tester at the two leads for the fuse at the top above the heating element and the two leads for another fuse under the heating element behind the drum area and they both give continuity, but I don't know if that means that they're working - maybe it just means they have continuity. On the fuse at the top, I was able to reach under it and it feels like I can push the bottom in a bit and then it'll pop out again (feels like the metal pop top of a jar of peanuts that tells if the vacuum seal for the jar has been opened or not). I haven't wanted to take anything else apart for fear of getting in too deep without knowing what the heck I'm doing.

Sorry for the novice explanation. I hope this was enough to assist in problem determination.

Thanks!!!

David

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-07, 11:52 AM
Sounds like you need a new motor/// most likely dryer and motor full of link also...

Old 08-11-07, 04:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A good non-technical test is to take belt off dryer motor and tensioner pulley (idler) and then see what happens. By removiong the belt, then you'll know if it is the motor.

Motor can fail by age, or even from fighting a problem over time like a worn out tensioner pulley bearing or roller bearing. If the centrifugal switch goes out in the motor you can't just buy the switch. You have to buy the whole motor. May run in the neighborhood of $100 give or take some, if that is the problem. [Centrifugal switch is what allows dryer to keep running even though all you do is quickly depress a spring-loaded start buton.]

It always pays when changing out a belt to make sure nothing is causing a load on the mortor in this way as you can then quickly ruin the new belt as well.

Old 08-16-07, 12:51 PM
Okay - now I'm scared.

I plugged it back in to see if the heating element was coming on (which it does), and the drum is now spinning again like it was never broken. Is it possible that something is overheating and turning the unit off? Maybe I missed a fuse somewhere? I should clean out the lint...?

Old 08-16-07, 04:02 PM
You may be dealing with something weak and/or on the way out. Do you hear a buzz noise as you hit the start switch? The buzz sound is the motor trying to start. If that buzz sound lasts too long, as if there is this extra load on the revolving, then it will JUST buzz and not start. This may happen to you yet. Either that, something freed itself up - for the time being. I hope though that somehow you lucked out. There can be this gummyness that develops in sleeve bearings that maybe improved for you, or ?.

Old 08-17-07, 12:50 PM
Current status - I pulled the front off the unit and cleaned out roughly five tons of lint that had accumulated in the bottom of the collector, right in front of the intake fan (pardon me if I'm using incorrect nomenclature) connected to the motor. As I wasn't comfortable enough to try to pull the drum to get to the motor, I reached behind and pulled what lint I could from the floor of the unit and around the motor (what I could reach) and then stuck a vacuum cleaner hose back there for a bit more. Other than forgetting to put the door switch in place before putting the front back on, it seemed to go back together relatively easily. So far, it seems to be drying and spinning properly.

Is it possible that the lint was stopping the intake fan from turning, thereby stopping the motor, thereby stopping etc, etc, etc...?

Right now, we're testing some loads and watching it.

Old 08-17-07, 05:50 PM
Yes. I forgot to mention that something like dryer sheets or other junk could slow up the blower wheel and cause your problem. Let's hope that was your only problem.

Old 08-19-07, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately, it looks like that was not the case. After a day or two of seemingly proper operation, the dryer has started to falter. Earlier this afternoon the unit was having issues again, with the buzzing you mentioned earlier trying to start. It still works after we've let it rest up a bit (kinda like me), but only in spurts. Based on the information in this thread, my guess is that the motor is probably going.

Old 08-22-07, 05:30 PM
The 5 tons of lint you pulled out is letting you know that you venting is also bad... that lint choked the motor causing the windings to go bad... there is a thermal fuse built into the motor to shut it off for safety...motor needs replaced and venting cleaned/or unblocked