fridge blowing hot air

Old 08-13-07, 09:20 PM
fridge blowing hot air

I have a Whirlpool refridgerator that is about 6 years old. 1 morning I opened it and discovered that it was not cold anymore. Turned temperature knob all the way to cold and it did cool off but only for a little while. Now all it does is blow hot air. Compressor does not appear to come on and was hot to the touch before I unplugged it. Compressor uses 134-A freon but does not have any connectors to refill, just crimped copper tubes. Any ideas on what might be causing this? There were a number of storms and did lose power a couple of times.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-07, 07:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How is it now? We too had storms. My parents freezer in the garage was clicking on and off I noticed last night when I went out in the garage to look at lightning out the garage windows. But then later it (freezer)straightened back out and the compressor clicked on and stayed on.

How is yours now?

Any refrigeration device does not like to have it's compressor cycle interupted as that does something to the pressures inside and makes it not work right. (In fact, I purchased an a/c once where it had a sticker on the unit telling you to wait at least 5 minutes or so before turning the unit back on, if you previously just turned it off, for the same reason)

If by chance you still have the same bad results we need to know if yr compressor stays running and smoothly and is not clicking on and off. Clicking on and off can signify a bad "run capacitor", and those are pretty cheap and fairly easy to replace.

Old 08-15-07, 11:23 AM
fridge blowing hot air

Thank you for responding, the compressor does not click on at all. The fan in the freezer is blowing, but it is just hot air.

Old 08-15-07, 03:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Feel the compressor. Is it cold or hot?

Old 08-15-07, 06:42 PM
Fridge

If fan is running in freezer it can't be stuck in defrost mode so that eliminates the defrost timer. Try giving the cold control in fresh food section a rap with your hand & listen to hear if compressor comes on. I kinda doubt thats the problem though if its sending power to the fan. Could be a bad relay at the compressor. As ecman51 said "feel compressor to see if its hot or cold". If hot, make sure fan is running by compressor to keep it cool. Could be kicking off on high temp. or running untill it overheats from low freon. If cold, compressor relay might be bad. If you hear compressor click & hum for a few seconds & click back off it could be a locked-up compressor.

Old 08-15-07, 08:15 PM
Hello. I do not mean to high jack anyone thread, but I am having the exact same issue. OK so I found my freezer defrosted and my fridge section a bit hot, 68 degrees. I have a kenmore model 106-52214100. I took off the back cover and the fan is spinning but the compressor is very hot (not sure what is the normal feel of them). I hear it trying to turn on but then I hear a click noise that turns it off. What can be the problem here? Could the relay be bad? Compressor? Defrost timer? Any help or guidance appreciated. If the compressor is stuck as the previous thread said does this mean the compressor is bad? If so is it worth fixing knowing that it is 7 years old? I just put a fan in front of the compressor to try to cool it off and see if that helps it in the mean time. Thanks

Old 08-16-07, 12:01 AM
fridge blowing hot air

Compressor was hot to the touch and does not click on at all.

Old 08-16-07, 01:43 PM
If it is hot - it has been trying to start. Replace the relay (it's on the compressor).

Old 08-18-07, 09:47 AM
Fridge blowing hot air-not anymore

I want to thank everyone for their assistance, I replaced the relay and so far it appears to be working great.