Whirlpool dishwasher won't drain

Old 08-15-07, 06:51 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Whirlpool dishwasher won't drain

I have a Whirlpool dishwasher (Model #GU2548-XTPQ6, Ser.#FS3101179). It's about a year and a half old and has built up quite a layer of hardened material all over the drain grate, the heating coil, some parts of the rack, and other places. We do have hard water in our home and our first thought was that. We were using Sunlight detergent powder and switched to Sunlight liquid, thinking it was maybe the powder and hard water. That didn't help. We were also using a bit of Glass Magic with the regular detergent since we bought the washer. We bought some "JET-DRY Dishwasher Cleaner" also to see if it would help dissolve and clean off some of the residue. Now, this was not a thin white, chalky film all over, this was like a thickness and hardness that we had to get a butter knife and scrape and chip away to open up the drain grate and get off the heating coil. We started having draining problems during the cycle and if it wasn't draining at the end, we would hit "Cancel/Drain" on the control panel. It wouldn't drain right away. So we ended up pressing it a total of 2 or 3 times, and waiting for the 2-minute drain cycle to finally kick in. NOW... we've been washing dishes by hand for the last week or so and I thought I would try the drain cycle one more time before pulling it out of the counter/cabinets. It doesn't drain at all now, no matter what. I'm out of ideas other than pulling it apart. Oh, and when all this started happening, it also started leaking a little from underneath the washer out into the kitchen - enough to sop up a handtowel. Not all the time, but periodically. Please help!! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-07, 07:27 PM
D
Whirlpool dishwasher

Sounds like a blockage in the drain line. Put dishwasher in the drain cycle with a normal amount of water in dishwasher & try bending drain line back & forth all along the length of it to try & break-up the blockage. If that doesn't work you will have to take the kick plate off the front bottom & remove drain line from pump. Try blowing through it to make sure its open. Could also be a piece of debri right at the pump outlet where you take the drain line off.

Old 08-15-07, 07:50 PM
D
Exclamation What about the hardened residue?

Thanks, I'll check the drain tube. What is causing the hardened residue though? and could residue like that have built up inside the pump and preventing it from draining correctly?

Old 08-15-07, 09:00 PM
D
Whirlpool

It sounds like excessive calcium in the water. In my area, I have seen the calcium built up so bad on a washer that the inner tub had to be removed & scraped with a putty knife because it was growed tight against the outer tub.
I don't believe it is a health issue but can cause problems in appliances.

Old 08-16-07, 07:41 AM
M
hard water build up in dishwasher

I had the very same problem and my repairman told me about a product called Lemi Shine. It works wonders. Nothing I have ever used worked, but this stuff is amazing! The buildup in my dishwasher was probably 1/8" thick and it cleaned it all out. I use a little bit of it now every time I wash dishes and I have had no more build up in the dishwasher and the dishes look wonderful! I get mine at Walmart.
From their website these are the instructions to clean out the dishwasher:
If there is an abundance of mineral build-up in the dishwasher we suggest this initial treatment:

Fill both detergent receptacles with Lemi Shine. Turn the dishwasher on and let it fill with water. Once it has filled, turn the dishwasher off and let it sit overnight. The next morning the dishwasher can be turned back on so that it can go through the cycles and drain. Sometimes there is so much mineral deposit in the dishwasher that an initial regular cycle cannot get all of it and some of that deposit that has been broken down becomes redeposited on the dishes. There are deposits that are visible and some that are not (in the filter and the spray arms).

With this application, the mineral deposits are exposed to Lemi Shine for a longer period of time so Lemi Shine has time to break it all down. After this application, Lemi Shine can be used as directed on the bottle from that time forward.

For optimum results we recommend using a powder detergent with Lemi Shine.

Old 05-06-09, 11:28 AM
B
Whirlpool Dishwasher won't drain

My dishwasher wouldn't drain and I suspected the drain hose was plugged at the pump discharge.

Not wanting to take the hose off and have water everywhere,
I disconnected the hose at the disposal end and blew it out with my air compressor.

I then ran a rinse cycle to test and retrieved a paper label and some sunflower seed shells.

All is well and no water to clean up.